871 PTO output shaft

ErnieD

The pto shaft on my 871 had about 3/8" fore and aft movement. Thinking it was the split
ring I pulled the shaft. Split ring is OK. Appears the outer race is a loose fit. I
have a donor rear end from another tractor and it's pto output race is also a loose fit.
(The donor shaft external splines are wallowed out from a hard life.) The machined
surface for the inner sleeved bearing is scored from the hydraulic pump shrapnel from an
earlier failure.

My questions are 1) Is the output bearing race a drive fit or a loose fit? I don't recall
our 851 having this movement. 2) How important is the sleeve bearing for the internal
support? The oil seal appears to be holding OK.

Both housings are shot. The C clips were broke out and the bearing is supposed to be a press fit.
Found the shards in bottom of the differential housing as I was cleaning the snot out. Oh well.

i won't comment on the sos pto setup.. I have never touched the pto assy on an sos.. nor read about them ;)

the 4/5 speed pto assembly though, if it had ( thrust ) fore / aft play, it is either the ebaring, or split ring or housing where split ring seats. I hcan tell you thrust play on the 4/5 speeds is bad and will walk the pto out of (manual) engagement, and wear the splines and coupler.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back