I have an 88 Diesel and am curious if it will pull a 4-14 bottom trailer plow? Not sure what plow I got, other than it's a JD, and it originally had 5-14's on it and the previous owner took one off so his JD 70 diesel would pull it.
 
That would depend on your ground and how deep you want to plow,but I wouldn't even try it. I pulled 3x14s with mine. My uncle had some heavier clay ground and only pulled 2x16s. I know,somebody will blast me,but folks had more common sense back then.
 
I agree with Mr. Lund. On this road 3-14's or 3-16's would be O. K. South of me a little bit a 2 bottom max. North of me the same amount 4-14's no problem. Is this for a plow day or don't tell me to farm with. Have you had the 88 on a dyno. Is it a Fleetline or a Super 88? If a Fleetline does it have Super sleeves and pistons? Just asking.
 
Dale,
I doubt you could pull a JD 66 4-bottom with an 88 Oliver. In my red clay land in NE WI, it takes a JD 830. I have an Oliver 770 and it can hardly pull 3-14s, mainly because it is too light. If you have light soil and really weight your 88 down, you might be able to.
Al
DSC00403.jpg
 
Dale. I agree, you have more plow than you have tractor. I am sure there are places a 88 will pull a 4 bottom plow, but in real life, especally in heavy soil, forget it.

When I was a kid, and the farmers were earning a living with their equipment, we had the following tractors in our neighborhood: Oliver 88 super 88 & 880, Massey 44 & 444, Moline UB & 5 star, IH m super m & 400, etc. All of above tractors pulled Oliver 3-14 pull type plows. There were no John Deeres around us, but they would not have been able to pull a 4-14 plow, no matter the brand. This was in mid Michigan.
 
No 5th plow, not sure what happened to it, but the guy I bought it from did not have it. That's all I'm going to use it for too, but I guess it wont be until I get a bigger tractor.
 
Lots of answers here. You say you want to go to plow days. What size tractors and plows are the other guys pulling? Size wise, you are in the ballpark of the M Farmalls, JD 70, 44 Massey, etc just like the post below stated. What size plows are the rest of the guys pulling, that will tell you a lot. Another thing, that plow was made to plow 6" or 7" deep. If you try to plow 10 or 12", it ain't gonna work very well. Chris
 
I believe a late-model John Deere D would pull 4-14s in a lot of places. It pulled 5-14s in lighter soil without hardly lugging down where I came from (Northern Minnesota).
 
back in those days i had a 70D and a 3 bottom 4230 oliver plow that could be adjusted to 14 s or 16 s, it could not handle 3 16 s and our ground wasn t all that heavy, but remember, we used to grow alfalfa too.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top