8N bumper bolts

Bought DC reproduction 8N front bumper and bolt kit.

Do the bumper bolts go from rear to front, thus putting nuts in front of bumper/axle?

Do washers go on bolt or nut? No lock washer?

Which axle holes do the short bolts go in?

My existing axle bolts are put in from front to rear, with lock washer and nut in rear of axle.

Thanks, Clem
 
Clem.........think about it fer a minute. Iff'n you mount yer new bumper bolts THREAD FORWARD, what is gonnna happen to the threads??? Yer gonnna be beatin' the threads with everything that is axle high and buggering them up. I don't care what the MPC shows.

Mount yer new expensive 5/8" bolts, thread AFT. Use a lockwasher under each NUT. Me? I used 5/8 coarse thread and let the extra thread show behind; 'course I'm nottta sphincterly challenged orginallity inspector.

It should be intuitive obvious where the short bolts go, 'cuz they won't fit where the long bolts go. Simple, eh? .......Dell
 
It will be much easry to put long bolts in from the back side frist then slide bumper on threads then washer & nut. That big of a bolt grade 6 or 8 is not gonna hurt the theads much.
 
Dell has a point, but in this RARE occasion, he may not be entirely correct...

I used grade 8 fine thread 5/8" bolts and faced the threads forward. True, they will get beat by the brush, but bolts are harder than brush, so no harm done. Doing it this way means that you can remove and reinstall the bumper without removing the bolts, plus, some bumpers (mine included) are bent in such a way that putting the bolts in head forward can be tricky. Use flats on both ends of the bolts, and locks under the nuts.
 
(quoted from post at 09:10:24 11/17/10) Dell has a point, but in this RARE occasion, he may not be entirely correct...

I used grade 8 fine thread 5/8" bolts and faced the threads forward. True, they will get beat by the brush, but bolts are harder than brush, so no harm done. Doing it this way means that you can remove and reinstall the bumper without removing the bolts, plus, some bumpers (mine included) are bent in such a way that putting the bolts in head forward can be tricky. [b:a99caf7f8a]Use flats and locks on both ends of the bolts[/b:a99caf7f8a].

I wonder the wisdom of using a flat washer and a lock washer together. Seems to me the lock washer will lock on the flat and not be useful at all. I'm just saying......
 
If it were an airplane the head of the bolt would go on the forward side of the axle so that if the nut vibrated off the bolt would not try to slide out the back.
 
Thanks all.

Yep, I was taught as Aircraft Mechanic (F-106,F-4,F-111, A-10) not OLD tractors. On Aircraft we were taught: bolt goes front to rear, threads aft, plain washer under bolt head, plain washer and lock washer under nut, 2 threads showing past nut.

Then we safety wired them together!

Kept em flying!

8Ns don't fly.

Thanks, original is...original. I agree, don't want threads smashed by what I bought the bumper to protect the grill from.

Thanks all, Clem
 

So you brought the chines bumper,,, I have one also,,, I install'em from the back and never look back... This taint no fudgen airplain tho the front wheels will fly... I spec it would B ovious were the long/short bolts go,,, good luck put'n the bolts in from the front,,, fudged up threads will be the least of yer worries...

relieftest2.jpg
[/img]
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top