8N clutch clatter

L. Dean

New User
When taking off in 4th gear I get a lot of clattering noise, not sure if its clutch or gears making the noise or both. does it in 3rd too, but not as much in the lower gears. what do ya think? Thanks
 
Not all that uncommon and is caused by oil on the disk. Have you check to make sure the cotter pin is cleaned out in the bell housing and that it is clean enough to drip oil??
 
Could also be caused by worn pilot bearing in flywheel.That's a lot of force aplied to the clutch,pressure plate,flywheel. try "goosing" the clutch enough to get rolling,then letting it slip some on take off.---lha
 
Under the tractor in the bell house area there should be a cotter pin sticking out and that need to be kept clear so it can drain fluid from the clutch area
 
This may sound kind of funny but I've had my 8N for around 7 years or so and I don't think I've ever driven it in fourth gear. It never leaves my 5 acres of dirt. I use 3rd once in a while if I have to get to the other side of the property.

It's pretty heavy with a Davis FEL on it and either a brush hog on the back or a Gannon Rollover Box Blade. It also has filled rear tires and wheel weights on it.

I'll have to try 4th next time I get on it to see how it works. :wink:
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top