8N Left Brake Self Engaging (May have found problem)

Midwayman

New User
So my old 8n which was new to me about 8 months ago was doing just fine right up until my foot slipped off the clutch while dropping off some firewood and I had to stand on the brakes a little bit while I got the clutch pushed in (first gear ). After doing this I noticed that while moving forward if I press the left brake, the brake would then self-engage stopping the tractor. Only putting the tractor in reverse and moving a little bit and then avoiding touching the left brake keeps the problem from happening.

I thought I found a thread somewhere that said something about a bracket coming loose in the brakes would cause this. So yesterday I tore the wheel off, got the brake drum off (With some drama of course ). I found two things. First, I found the " left only" break return spring laying loose. Second, I found the little block, that is normally attached to the backing plate, broken loose and signs of someone previously trying to weld it to said backing plate. See picture.

Anyone encountered something like this? Am I inviting trouble by trying to repair again with a better weld? Is that block actually supposed to be attached to the backing plate? This is a work tractor right now so I'd like to get it up and running ASAP, but never a fan of redoing a job I was too cheap/ lazy to do right the first time.
mvphoto102120.jpg

mvphoto102121.jpg

Thanks for the reply wore out.

I can see the little "t" you show in your second picture behind the plate. I can push it around with my fingers.

mvphoto102178.jpg

The back of the block looks like this. Looks to me like the pin is broken off (looking at the picture you provided)?

mvphoto102179.jpg

I can disable the brake for now, but didn't know how much stuff had to come out to replace the backer plate. Looks like pulling the hub and some kind of seal sits on top of the plate?

This very same thing happened to my tractor. I thought about just welding it back but instead bought a used one. Installed new shoes on both sides in the process. I bought a kit on here that had new return springs and keepers. I've never had such good brakes on the ole 8N.

(quoted from post at 10:32:03 02/06/23) Thanks for the reply wore out.

I can see the little "t" you show in your second picture behind the plate. I can push it around with my fingers.

mvphoto102178.jpg

The back of the block looks like this. Looks to me like the pin is broken off (looking at the picture you provided)?

mvphoto102179.jpg

I can disable the brake for now, but didn't know how much stuff had to come out to replace the backer plate. Looks like pulling the hub and some kind of seal sits on top of the plate?

Now you'll find out how tight that axle nut has to be and what it takes to pull the hub. Better to tear it down and replace it all the right way now.

Alright, I have a used backplate on its way. I may just disable the brake for now until the weather is nice before pulling the hub and what not.

Thanks for the all the info!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back