8N Motor Oil has Silvery color to it

OK all. I started a new thread and this one is related to my previous post on 8N ENGINE KNOCK AT HIGH RPM'S. The reason I started is because it is , or may not be related to the previous post or have some bearing on the previous post.
Anyway, pulling the motor to break down again for closer inspection trying to find root cause of that infernal knock.
As I was draining the oil I noticed it had a SILVERY color to it, kinda like a gallon of black paint with silver highlights that had not been stirred properly.
SO, big question is, is this a danger sign or just my imagination? If a danger sign, what caused the silver color. What should I look for now. I know that every part in this engine is new so I can assume some damage somewhere? Too scared to look.
Remember this 2nd rebuild has less than 10 minutes running time on it.

(quoted from post at 12:47:24 11/01/16) I would look real close to the rear main bearing and number 3 & 4 rod bearings.
Good idea and I already pulled #4 cap off and the bearing looks pretty close to the way it was first installed. Will pull rear main when rain lets up.
Also, do you know how the flywheel flange is affixed to the crank shaft? OR is it a part of the shaft? reason I am asking is because if it is pressed onto the shaft, maybe it is loose under pressure and that is what is causing the knocking?
Anyway, thanks for your input.

I am not really 100% sure but I think the rear flange is all part of the crankshaft. I piece construction.

(quoted from post at 14:40:48 11/01/16) I am not really 100% sure but I think the rear flange is all part of the crankshaft. I piece construction.

I am not sure either and I have not pulled it yet as it is raining and don't want to get everything wet. I have double checked the flywheel for cracks but found none with the eye. May have to magnaflux it to be sure. Once I get the crank out, off to the shop it goes for hot tanking and magnaflux.
I got the head off and checked for any signs of the pistons hitting the head and there was none.

(quoted from post at 16:54:04 11/01/16) Is the silver possible particles of metal? Can you feel particles? Does a magnet attract particles?
No the particles are not big enough to feel and tomorrow I will try the magnet thing. It actually looks like silver paint had been mixed in with the oil.

While it was running did you have an oil pressure gauge on it? It may not be related to oil pressure. Your previous post said your clearance was less than .001. Be careful. I would stay on the skinny end of the specification. I would think there would be a witness mark somewhere with the descriptions you gave.

(quoted from post at 04:29:55 11/02/16) While it was running did you have an oil pressure gauge on it? It may not be related to oil pressure. Your previous post said your clearance was less than .001. Be careful. I would stay on the skinny end of the specification. I would think there would be a witness mark somewhere with the descriptions you gave.

heh heh. This is kinda funny but embarrassing as well. The mystery was solved when I remembered that I had put a pint of STP in the oil to help with the break in period and that was what the silver color was. It was a special blend that one of my friends gave me and I am sure it was STP but could have been another brand but it was the culprit that did the dirty trick on me. I was really worried that the engine was coming apart, but after I pulled those rod bearings I knew it was something else so I started remembering what had transpired.
Oil pressure was about 35 cold and 28 hot.
Thanks for your input.

Did you pull all rod and main caps or just a few? Also, did you look at the condition of the bearings on the upper side opposite the cap?

An engine that has a knock to it and a shimmer in the oil would have me checking every bearing possible.

As for clearances...I had an old race engine builder tell me, if you run you clearances a little loose, only you will know. If you run them a little tight, everyone will know.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back