8N oil leak into coolant

Ken SE WI

New User
My BIL has a Ford 8N that is putting oil into the coolant. Apparently, there is no coolant getting into the oil. He has not owned the tractor long and does not know its history. I have not seen the tractor and it has been a long time since I have been around any 8N’s. He thinks it might be the head gasket. If I remember correctly, on a flat head engine, there are no oil passages that get to the head gasket. It is my suspicion that the tractor may have frozen and there is a small crack some where in an oil passage in the block that is allowing pressurized oil into the coolant. In any event, to me the repair does not sound as cheap as a head gasket replacement. Do any of you have ideas? Thanks in advance. Ken.....

(quoted from post at 18:24:48 05/03/15) My BIL has a Ford 8N that is putting oil into the coolant. Apparently, there is no coolant getting into the oil. He has not owned the tractor long and does not know its history. I have not seen the tractor and it has been a long time since I have been around any 8N’s. He thinks it might be the head gasket. If I remember correctly, on a flat head engine, there are no oil passages that get to the head gasket. It is my suspicion that the tractor may have frozen and there is a small crack some where in an oil passage in the block that is allowing pressurized oil into the coolant. In any event, to me the repair does not sound as cheap as a head gasket replacement. Do any of you have ideas? Thanks in advance. Ken.....

This one of the rare times I would say invest in a fel-pro head gasket... You can re-torque and cross your fingers but its talking to ya the gasket has lived its life span...

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1191074&highlight=gummy

Sorry, I posted on the wrong forum. It should have gone in the 2N, 9N, 8N Forum. I will repost there. Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back