8N restoration

dalegregg

New User
Hi. I'm brand new to this site. I recently was gifted an 8N that was hanging out in my wife's aunt's barn. Rough shape, but the engine had been newly overhauled just before it was put in storage, some 20 years ago. Biggest issue for me, it seems to be stuck between gears, or maybe stuck IN two gears, but it won't shift. Is there a recognized way to get in there and free things up? Thanks!

Hiya.
jack up one rear wheel to take the load off the trans. Now find neutral. You might have to turn a rear wheel a
bit to do so. Take off the shift cover and look at your levers and notches.

If you take off the cover, don't lose the spring and detent ball. lift it off gently and keep an eye open for the spring, ball is in the spring hole. a fo 4 manual would help you.

(quoted from post at 15:45:48 07/02/23) If you take off the cover, don't lose the spring and detent ball. lift it off gently and keep an eye open for the spring, ball is in the spring hole. a fo 4 manual would help you.

Hi dalegregg, welcome to the forum. You well find a wealth of knowledgeable folks here.
Since you are new to the world of N tractors, what R Geiger is referring to is an I&T FO-4 shop manual. They are available on this site and others too. You might want to get a copy of an operators manual and maybe a parts catalog too.

I found the IT and original Ford manuals as well as the Ford IPL for free download on another site. I can't post the link here.

The IT manual is handy to have a hard copy as it's not too many pages. If I had a better printer I'd print out copies of the Ford manuals too.

It is highly advisable to always have copies of the Owner/Operator's Manual, the 39-53 MPC (Master Parts Catalog), and the I&T FO-4 Service Manual for you N Tractor.
In addition you can find individual MPC's for the 8N's from July 1947, May 1949, May 1950, and Sept 1952. There is also a Service Training Manual from 1949 that was
used for mechanics training. This one only covers the early 8N with the front mount distributor and early steering box, but worth the info contained within.

EARLY & LATE FORD 8N OPERATOR'S MANUALS:
hMUp73jl.jpg
xKpSw5sl.jpg

JULY 1947 MPC; THE 1ST 8N PARTS CATALOG:
VxBzJ70l.jpg

9N, 2N, 8N, NAA MASTER PARTS CATALOG, SEP 1952 EDITION:
q5zVwUyl.jpg

I&T F-O4 SERVICE MANUAL:
RQMDm9Zl.jpg

FORD DEALER TRAINING SERVICE MANUAL:
XJjXMyWl.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back