8N stuck valve guides

rbuckel

I have acquired a 1951 8N that has not been started for over 25 years. First problem is Number 2 cylinder is stuck and Im working on that. Three valve guides are stuck so tight that my big bars with correct notches will not budge the valve guides enough to allow removal of the lock clips. Any suggestions? I am using PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery oil on the cylinders as well as the guides.

I have had really good luck with vinegar, to help free up stuck parts.
The standard stuff you buy at the grocery store is 5% acidity, if you go to a hardware store you can get the cleaning type which is around 30%.

I was tearing down a 52 8N engine last month & had one stuck valve guide, I soaked it with vinegar for a few days & it finally came loose. (I also applied a little heat once a day with a handheld map gas torch.)
I had the engine on a stand & was able to lay it back a bit so the vinger would sit in the exhaust port.

I use an old tire iron for prying on value guides, it works pretty well.

mvphoto101161.png

Hook up your garden hose to a hot water spigot (like the one for your washing machine). Remove the coolant drain cock and hook up the other end of the hose. Turn on the hot water. Allow water to flow for a little while. Trick is to heat up the block so that the cylinder core expands & releases from the stuck piston. I've done this to a stuck 2-53 Detroit Diesel and a stuck flywheel engine. Works really well.

rbuckel ,Remove the valve keepers then the spring with a spring compressor or you could even heat the spring and collapse it with a propane torch ,remove valve then tap the guide down from the top with a brass drift ,to remove the guide.You may have to have the camshaft lobe on the base position to have enough clearance to remove the valve guide or remove the lifter.

Thanks everyone! All valves and guides are out. Engine is moving, but still one hard spot. Pretty sure its rust in number 2.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back