8n Suction at Exhaust, Pressure at Intake

Evening all - you may remember me from previous topics here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=9036363&highlight=#9036363 .

I've gotten back to the tractor again, fixed the valve lash clearance, and have begun to assemble the tractor again. However, after putting on the manifold I noticed something strange that fits with earlier observations - I'm getting suction at the exhaust port on the manifold, and pressure at the intake port on the carb. It's consistent in the sense that I only get suction at exhaust and pressure at the intake (the amount of suction/pressure varies as the engine turns over).

I'm turning the engine over with the starter, so unless it's possible for the starter to turn backward either because I replaced the solenoid or wired it wrong, I'm leaning toward the camshaft being the issue. From the tests I was advised to run in previous threads my camshaft timing -looks- correct, my #4 valves are fully closed when the #1 cylinder is at TDC. However, one thread I found here noted that a camshaft 180* out of phase could cause the issue I'm seeing, and although it wasn't totally clear it seems like in that case rather than 90* out of phase I might not see evidence of a problem using that test. I did replace the camshaft gear during my rebuild after shredding it by ignoring one of the 75 tips and running a bolt into it's teeth.

Thoughts and advice? I'm going to double check my wiring but most of my googling along those lines makes me think the starter can't/won't turn backward (and a lot of the threads I found just shifted into old timers waxing poetic). I'm leaning toward the camshaft gear as the culprit, just want input before I lift the tank and tear down the front end again.

(quoted from post at 19:33:52 05/29/19) Evening all - you may remember me from previous topics here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=9036363&highlight=#9036363 .

I've gotten back to the tractor again, fixed the valve lash clearance, and have begun to assemble the tractor again. However, after putting on the manifold I noticed something strange that fits with earlier observations - I'm getting suction at the exhaust port on the manifold, and pressure at the intake port on the carb. It's consistent in the sense that I only get suction at exhaust and pressure at the intake (the amount of suction/pressure varies as the engine turns over).

I'm turning the engine over with the starter, so unless it's possible for the starter to turn backward either because I replaced the solenoid or wired it wrong, I'm leaning toward the camshaft being the issue. From the tests I was advised to run in previous threads my camshaft timing -looks- correct, my #4 valves are fully closed when the #1 cylinder is at TDC. However, one thread I found here noted that a camshaft 180* out of phase could cause the issue I'm seeing, and although it wasn't totally clear it seems like in that case rather than 90* out of phase I might not see evidence of a problem using that test. I did replace the camshaft gear during my rebuild after shredding it by ignoring one of the 75 tips and running a bolt into it's teeth.

Thoughts and advice? I'm going to double check my wiring but most of my googling along those lines makes me think the starter can't/won't turn backward (and a lot of the threads I found just shifted into old timers waxing poetic). I'm leaning toward the camshaft gear as the culprit, just want input before I lift the tank and tear down the front end again.

It ain't your starter, it will turn the same direction no matter what.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought #4 valves were in rocker over when number is at top dead center.

(quoted from post at 23:02:35 05/29/19)
(quoted from post at 19:33:52 05/29/19) Evening all - you may remember me from previous topics here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=9036363&highlight=#9036363 .

It ain't your starter, it will turn the same direction no matter what.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought #4 valves were in rocker over when number is at top dead center.
orrect R. G, the #4 valves will be "on the rock' when #1 is TDC-compression. I.e., those valves will both be very slightly open and if engine is rotated back and forth (fwd/rev) one valve will open further and the other close more.

Jake ,Your new cam gear is ether drilled wrong or the rimming mark on the tooth is wrong or installed wrong.As I have told you there has been some replacement cam gears found to have the holes drilled wrong and it looks like you have one of them.In other words your camshaft rimming is off/incorrect.I explained to you in previous post how to check the cam timing by the #4 rock method, when #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke. You should NOT have pressure coming from the intake .

(quoted from post at 21:33:52 05/29/19) Evening all - you may remember me from previous topics here https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=9036363&highlight=#9036363 .

A more precise method of identifying number one TDC-compression stroke is what Hobo calls "on the rock".. With number 1 at TDC-compression, observe the valves at #4 cylinder & as you rotate the crankshaft ever so slightly CW & then CCW, back and forth, the intake and exhaust on #4 will both be slightly open and as you rock back & forth CW/CCW, the two valves will alternately move to open & closed from their equally & slightly open position (intake/exhaust overlap). TDC will be at he center of this movement of the valves, where neither is moving. Even the slightest rotation in either direction from TDC will result in valve movement. CW/CCW rotation can be noticed by forward and backward walking of rooster.
XlalKGS.mp4

https://imgur.com/XlalKGS

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back