8N Valve Problem

1sarge

I have a '52 8N that is used very little but has been in family since new. I started it a while back and noticed that it was not running smooth at low idle. I started trying to locate the problem and after a carb rebuild that didn't help,removed the valve covers to take a look at and check the valve clearance. I discovered that the #3 intake valve has one of the keepers that is not seated and is actually down enough that it is hitting the tappet. Is it possible to get this keeper re-seated with out pulling the head? Any suggestions?

I have replaced broken valve springs on Case tractors without removing the head. it's not that difficult. On an 8n I would think if you had the spring compressor for a flat head engine it would be very simple. If you don't have the tool. I think it can be done with a large screwdriver.

Thanks for the reply tractorguy. This being a flathead I wasn't too sure. Tried screwdriver but had trouble with the valve itself moving up. Going to try again and maybe make it work. Have heard of putting air pressure in the cylinder to hold the valve closed but never tried it.

1sarge,Have someone hold down on the valve face through the spark plug hole with a screwdriver or maybe bend a L on a old one to hold down on the valve.You could also use compressed air to hold the valves closed.

(quoted from post at 00:27:57 01/23/20) 1sarge,Have someone hold down on the valve face through the spark plug hole with a screwdriver or maybe bend a L on a old one to hold down on the valve.You could also use compressed air to hold the valves closed.
es, you can & I have accessed both I & E valves via spark plug holes on Ns.

(quoted from post at 14:13:48 01/23/20) Thanks all, as soon as I get a change, I'll try it again. Will post the outcome.

If you don't have anyone helping you to hold the valve down thru the spark plug hole, you can also shove a bunch of rope down the plug hole to do the same thing.

Ok, had a chance today to work on the valve. Old keepers looked a little disfigured so went to local New Holland dealer with no luck on new ones. Drove around 50 miles to another that had two, that's all I needed and spent a whole $1.58 for them. Used the bent screwdriver in plug hole and started trying to install. Made a big mistake and didn't plug the oil hole just by the tappet.....yes dropped one in the hole. Tried fishing with a magnet with no luck. Drained the oil and finally with a magnet on a wire I got it through the oil drain. Sure was a relief to see it on the magnet. Plugged the hole and now have it installed. Thanks for all the help.

(quoted from post at 18:06:21 01/24/20) Ok, had a chance today to work on the valve. Old keepers looked a little disfigured so went to local New Holland dealer with no luck on new ones. Drove around 50 miles to another that had two, that's all I needed and spent a whole $1.58 for them. Used the bent screwdriver in plug hole and started trying to install. Made a big mistake and didn't plug the oil hole just by the tappet.....yes dropped one in the hole. Tried fishing with a magnet with no luck. Drained the oil and finally with a magnet on a wire I got it through the oil drain. Sure was a relief to see it on the magnet. Plugged the hole and now have it installed. Thanks for all the help.
ood for ya! :)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back