8N with stuck valve?

Matt Lewis

New User
I have a 1952 8N sidemount 6 volt negative ground that I can"t get started. I replaced alot of ignition parts and rebuilt the carb. Everything has spark and gas flows freely thru carb. I next tried to see what the compression was in the holes. Good compression on holes 1,2 and 4 but I get nothing on #3. I ran the tractor into the barn 2 seasons ago and it has been sitting ever since. Does this mean major rebuild or could it be a stuck valve? If it is the later (as I hope) what is the best way to get the valve unstuck? She turns over no problem and there is no noise coming from the engine. Help.
 
Put some MMO in each cylinder in case you have stuck rings as well. Then, remove the valve covers. Spray everything w/ Sea Foam or PB Blaster. Drink a beer while it soaks. Or two. Or let it set overnight. Next, get out your wire brush & start scrubbing the valves & springs w/ the MMO. Pay close attention to # 3. When you're done, turn the engine over w/ the valve covers off & see if both valves on #3 are moving. If the valve is stuck to the seat, remove the plug & spray inside w/ the PB blaster & the little hose.
50 Tips
 
Thanks Bruce,

I will grab some Marvel Mystery Oil and a 6 pack of beer tonight on the way home from work.

Sounds like I am in for a fun weekend.
 
My self I use ATF instead of MMO cheaper and does as good. You might have stuck valves and or sticking rings. My self I would fill the cylinders with ATF and let it sit over night and try it. I have had that problem many times with tractors I buy and ATF has almost always fixed the problem. I have an Oliver 60 engine that when I got it, it was locked up but 24 hours of ATF popped it free
 
If you have 0 compression most likely valve
I like witches brew of kero or diesel with MM and ATF- has nice look, feel, smell, works good too !
 
Do not spray pb blaster, WD-40 or any other "OILS" in the cylinder til you do one simple test first, pull the spar plug and see if you can push some compressed air in the cylinder, the air will come out one of 3 places, Intake , Exhaust or the Base !!, This will tell you if it's rings or a valve and which valve it is.
If you start spraying all kind's of crap in the cylinder you can break loose all the carbon on the top of the piston which may and could get in the rings preventing them from sealing or you'll wash all the oil off the cylinder walls Seen it happen!
HTH
 
Rich,
Your use of ATF instead of MMO is well documented.
What I'm wondering is what kind of beer do you buy for when you're waiting for the cure to take place?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top