'90 Ford 4630 Shop Manual

New to the forum and having a tractor sitting on my lot as a whole, though I have worked tractors over the years. I did not see an intro section so I am just jumping right into the meat and potatoes. I recently got my hands on my father in laws old '90 Ford 4630, after he got his hands on a new pretty green model, and it is in need of some upkeep. Right off the bat there is what appears to be Hydraulic fluid build up all over the chassis and rear of the tractor indicating several leaks. Some are obvious like needing new lines but some are going to be a bit more involved. I am not scared to get greasy, I do all of my own maint on the family cars and trucks as well as remodeling our old house, but I like to have a plan and an idea of what I am up against. All that rambling said, I am trying to figure out where to get my hands on a service/shop manual for this tractor. I have done some looking online and am finding various manuals being called different things for a wide range of prices. Is there a place that is reputable to get my hands on a manual and if so which one should I get, I would like something that outlines maintenance as well as repair or if I need two different manuals which ones? I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Chris

The 10 volume oem set is indispensable, I found a very nice set on ebay.
Sounds like a pressure wash is in order so you can find the actual leaks.

(quoted from post at 14:30:34 06/26/20) The 10 volume oem set is indispensable, I found a very nice set on ebay.
Sounds like a pressure wash is in order so you can find the actual leaks.

Yeah, I am thinking about trying to rent a hot water pressure washer to do the initial clean. The oil and dirt are caked pretty thick.

I will take a look on ebay. Did you find a hard copy or was it a PDF.

That will help, and one of the suspect leaks could be the brake rod seals on the rear axle housing, easy repair too.

The 10 volume set, might be 12, I keep forgetting are hard copies, well they seem to be NOS, and not a reprint, if they are, very nicely done. A bit pricey, might have been $200. I don't mind paying a premium for OEM manuals. but most I have found used, very reasonably. Seems this seller had a bunch of these. I am and was very careful to keep them in NOS condition. Hopefully, you'll find a set. Even good used OEM, I've always though were better than non OEM or many lower quality re-prints. I&T should also have an aftermarket manual available for this tractor.

Here are some spots I am suspecting being the main hydro culprits. I think the fluid in front is power steering. Per my FIL he said if he fills the hrlydro fluid it will come "boilng out". Are these the brake rods you are speaking of? Ohh I can't upload a picture and the forum is not liking the Google pics link

Welcome to the Forum!
4630 is a nice tractor to have but is what I call a new tractor since most of mine are 60's/70's models.
That tractor will have hydrostatic steering so you could have one of three issues or a combination of them.
The filter could be bad in the pump canister causing it to blow fluid out.
One of the lines or hoses going to the steering cylinder could be leaking, or the hydraulic steering cylinder could have a blown seal.
All are relatively easy repairs.
If it has the deluxe remotes on the rear a simple o-ring seal could be bad making a mess on the rear axle.

Which transmission does it have, if it's the standard 8 spd it's a solid dependable trans, if it has the shuttle shift trans it's still a good trans but it has a suction screen in the bottom that needs regular service or the trans will give problems.

As for photos this site requires one to make a number of post before photos can be posted, not many but don't remember exact number.

Service manuals are good for repair work but a operators manual will have the maintenance info you'll be looking for, get a operator manual first.

(quoted from post at 10:16:29 06/27/20)
Welcome to the Forum!
Service manuals are good for repair work but a operators manual will have the maintenance info you'll be looking for, get a operator manual first.

Great info. Looking at the power steering area I think the leak will be either on the hose leading into the actuator or the actuator itself. It is really wet on the bottom. The Pump was recently rebuilt and is clean around it.

For the rear, the remotes are definitely leaking. I will rebuild all 4 of the quick connects. Then around the seat I think the O Ring on the suction tube (maybe wrong term) on the side of the manifold because when the tractor is running you can see the oil leaking from that point. I am not sure that that can be what is causing the "boil over" affect he mentioned but I will make those two repair before digging any deeper. I just picked up 5 gallons of Zep purple degreaser to clean her off.

Looks like the option is there now. Here are a few wet spots. The wet around the pto is worrying, I am not sureif it could just be collecting from the rear remote leak.

mvphoto57510.jpg

(quoted from post at 11:55:27 06/28/20)
Hopefully after a few more post you'll be able to add photos so we can see those areas as well.

Finally got them loaded. She was a mess. Just finished degreasing and she looks much nicer. Now to ride around and look for leaks, once it's all dry

1st thing is it needs a good cleaning so one can tell where the leaks are coming from but I'll name a few possibilities
Photo 1, The pto seal could be leaking or the leak is coming from the remotes above it, give it a good cleaning and fix the remote leaks first.
Photo 2, The remotes are full of crud and need cleaned, also looks like they have the wrong o-rings, correct ones are white, also need the rubber boots that keep trash out, I'll look up the part numbers later.
Photo 3, If it's leaking around that little pipe there's a o-ring that needs replaced, also the clip that holds the pipe in position is missing.
Photo 4, Looks like most of that crud is from the remotes above
Photo 5, Just a dirty tractor but you need to clean the trash out of that brake boot before it does give issues. It is a rubber boot so take care not to poke a hole in it.
Photo 6, Steering cylinder end seal is leaking, a kit is available to reseal it or you can take it off and have it resealed.

(quoted from post at 15:06:21 06/28/20)
1st thing is it needs a good cleaning ....
.....you can take it off and have it resealed.

I have been looking on Messicks website. they have some parts diagrams uploaded to look through. I found what I believe is the end seal.

Part Description SEAL,15.24mm ID x 44.45mm OD x 19.05mm Thk / Dust Seal, End Assy.
Part Number 81803194

Dust cap:
Part Description DUST CAP / Cap
Part Number E1NND954AB

Then they have the O Ring and Snap Ring for the Hydro tube.

The only thing I am not finding on their site is the complete O Ring kit for the tubes. I am going to call my local New Holland dealer and see if they have these parts in stock.

Looks much better.
Not sure what your calling the tubes but the kit for your steering cylinder is NH # FP526, $123
E1NND954AB is the correct dust boot number, $19 each, you need 2
9861431 is the number for the o-ring seal you need, $9 each, you need 4

The tube was the Hydraulic tube. I think I saw it called a pickup tube but when I look at Messick's the part catalog just calls it a tube.

From driving it for a few minutes yesterday and exercising the hydraulics this is what I have found.

The Hydraulic tube on the side of the manifold (pic where I was pointing at it) seems to be the worst and fastest leak

Then the rear remotes but the leak seems to only be on the remotes where a connection is terminated so maybe just replacing the interior seals will suffice, I was planning on replacing the seals on the interior and exterior of the female couplings.

You called it, the PTO seal is leaking, faster than the remotes.

As for the steering, I have not seen anymore wet spots so I will keep an eye on it. I did remove the cover off of the console to look at the throttle linkage, its loose, and noticed the power steering valve hanging off of the steering wheel is really wet so it may need some attention as well. The steering leaks are more of a nuisance at this point but I will address them once the Hydraulics are cleaned up. I need to replace all of the flex lines on the FEL, they are dry rot and the steel belting is all I see, the exterior has rot away. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

I really appreciate your help with the item numbers. I am going to call the New Holland dealer this week and place these parts on will call to go pick up.

I will post some pics as I take on each task.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back