966 Oil Leak

dm2237

Hello, I have a 966 that has oil leaking around the clutch area. I had originally thought it was the rear main, but not sure now. I checked the engine oil daily all last summer, and it never seemed to use any. You can see the oil coming out of the small inspection hole on the right side over the flywheel if you remove the cover. I'm getting ready to split the tractor to replace the TA because that slips too. While I'm in there it's getting a new clutch and rear main seal. What else should I be looking at for the leak. Thanks, Dan

There are adjustments for the clutch and TA that I would do before splitting. The front trans seal and bearing would be things I would look at while I had it split if I had to go there. To change a TA is a double split.

It's either got to be coming from the engine or the TA housing. If you use Hytran the leaking oil should have a distinct smell if it's from the TA housing.

I presume you're going to be putting all new seals and gaskets in the TA housing when you install the new TA unit and put it back on the tractor. Pretty sure that will cover anything that might leak into the clutch housing.

it's leaking either at the IDPTO shaft seal due to that being plum wore out and floopen around in the PPA and the bearing has play in it . NOW IF ya got More oil on the the drive going into the clutch disc. then that seal is leaking . . Ya say your going to replace the rear engine oil seal , Ya got the seal installing tool . Ya need that to do a rear engine seal. as ya just can drive that seal in as the seal and ware ring go on together and the tool sets the ware ring and seal where it is to set. . Ya ever done a T/A in and I H tractor before ?? It is not just a drop- in and play deal.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The tractor is going to a local shop for the work. I don't have a place at home to get it inside to do the work. I was going to take it to the shop where I work, but the shop manager didn't really want it to come in, even though we are kinda slow now. The rear seal installer looks similar to the ones we use on the cats and cummins engines. We have both at work, but I think both are too big for this seal. I have never done a TA change. Setting it up looks similar to what we do when we change out the pto on the truck transmissions. We use a dial indicator to set the back lash, and adjust it by changing out the mounting gaskets to either thicker or thinner to get the right lash. The parts are all here now, and hopefully I get it to the shop this week.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back