970 Shift Basket Shaft

451 CUBES

Anyone ever seen one of these break? Getting the coiled pin (which holds the shaft in place) out of the blind hole it is driven in to was a bit of a challenge.
Thanks
a245956.jpg

Yes, as a dealer we saw several of them broken. Trying to shift while on the move and cowboying them would break them. Also 0nce in a while the pin that heled the interlock tube would shear (again rammy operator) and there would be no support for that end if the shaft.
Loren

C4 piston seal in the rps34 went bad years ago, and rather than fix it, the tractor got used without reverse (yeah I know) - so it probably wasn't real easy to get rammed in to gear without the c4 braking effect. I'm sure this caused much undo stress on the part, and others. The last time it was started (20 years ago) it was stuck in gear, and the rack in the pump stuck in the wide open position, both unknown issues to the operator prior to it firing up. Kind of a bad combination of problems to have happen to a guy.
Anyhow...just now tearing in to the power shift and look forward to learning about and repairing that. It seems I am in good company here if I might need a little advice for that job.
Thanks for the reply!

How do you guys get the coiled pin out of the blind hole?? That was a head scratcher. Ended up SLOWLY tapping (scared to death of breaking tap the whole time) # 8 threads inside the pin, and made a slide hammer and screwed a #8 screw with the head cut off in to the coil pin and also in to a tapped hole on the end of a homemade slide hammer.
Thanks!

i may have parts ya need . mine broke 1st and 3rd gear . after getting into it found some other issues . my best option was i called fred goodrich and replaceing the transmission. . i have the power shift. in good shape one of belville wahers is cracked. clutchs look good . shift basket has been welded. but worked .let me know what you might need . and yes there is a ton of knowledge here . all have to do is ask ..

start up wide open ! ohh chitmoment for sure ,///////,.. my 1070 with cab had a similar problem ,. no 1st and 3rd range ,. I sent it to my friendly ihc/case dealer who fixed it and relieved me of 1800 cash ,,. , p-owner must a wrackt thechit out of the shiftershaft , I have sprayed lots of lubricant in there and on the linkages and shafts too ,,. it helps but they are still tite,. they just don't move like case intended them to move , and I wonder on the if there is a possibility of drilleing a grease zerk on the shift collar under the cab brake side ? perhaps you fellas have btdt ,.

To remove the roll pin you simply drive it into the shaft until it bottoms out. Then you slide the shaft out and remove the roll pin from the shaft. The roll pin is only as long as the shaft, unless someone had installed the wrong pin previously.

dcb930,
$0^@+$!ch
I knew I should have asked here first. Too bad the new 2000 page manual I got failed to mention this. It said "Remove pin 17"....
Thanks for the reply!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back