98 Dodge Cummins 24 valve ECM

fixerupper

The Dodge dealer tells me the ECM is bad in my 24 V Cummins and I don't doubt him from the way it acted. The dealer quoted a new ECM at $2500. I have replaced ECM's in N14 Cummins truck engines that ran that much money too so I suppose the $2500 figure is close to being right. A used one is hard to find and might not be able to be flashed and reprogrammed right.

On the net I see ECM's for this pickup advertised for $746 ready to go, plug and play. I give them my VIN number and they send me the ECM. That's quite a difference in price and I tend to be a little leery of the ECM's advertised on the net. Do any of you guys have any experience with internet bought cheap ECM's? Are they good or not so good? This ECM in the pickup was making the engine run wild when I started it hot, not good! It's like putting the pedal to the floor, starting the engine and holding it there. I don't want this happening again, a $2500 ECM is cheaper than what could happen when it runs wild.

A few years ago the Cummins dealer told me my ECM was bad on the N-14 causing a 2 second shutdown from time to time. Cost me $3700 and 500
miles later did it again. Had a heck of a time getting my old ECM back and 90 days for Cummins to get my money back. Turned out to be the
potentiometer for the foot feed...found by another shop.

(quoted from post at 17:26:37 11/23/17) A few years ago the Cummins dealer told me my ECM was bad on the N-14 causing a 2 second shutdown from time to time. Cost me $3700 and 500
miles later did it again. Had a heck of a time getting my old ECM back and 90 days for Cummins to get my money back. Turned out to be the
potentiometer for the foot feed...found by another shop.

When I dropped this pickup off at the dealer the first thing the mechanic pointed his finger at was the potentiometer. He said it would be expensive but he didn't say how much. The ECM is what they came up with after they plugged it in. I'll have to trust them.

They plugged it into their scanner. It has been running wild when started hot. I'll start it and the engine runs wild, I don't have to touch the pedal. I'll quickly shut it down and try again and after about three tries it will settle down and idle OK but then it will either idle or run 1500 RPM's. Those are my to choices of speeds, there is no in between, It's like a limp mode. After it cools for an hour or two it will start and run fine without a glitch as long as I keep it running which could be all day. Shut it off and I had better wait another hour or two before I restart.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back