995 milky hyd fluid

acalkins1957

New User
I've started my 1st service on my 995. Waited until the weather got warm. I drained the hydraulic fluid, which was of course milky, and put in a new filter. Topped it off and ran the tractor and moved the three point up and down quite a few times. Check the fluid and still milky. Drained the fluid again and this time just cleaned the new filter. Topped off and ran the system again. Milky again. The milky appearance doesn't seem to be any less. My question is since it's apparent I need to do this a few times and oil is pretty expensive, can I drain and flush with diesel fuel or does someone make something for this? The picture is the 2nd drain and flush.

Attachments

• 20240327_093005.jpg
    20240327_093005.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
The answer to your question is yes, you can drain and flush with diesel fuel. It has been done many times by others. Go to the following link and type the word "flushing" into the search box and you will get quite a few threads on the subject. Here is the link:

David Brown Forum Archive

I was always able to get my fluid pretty clean with just one drain (and I've done it to all of my Browns - I own eight of them, and all of them had contaminated hydraulic fluid when purchased).

Question: When you drained your dirty fluid out, did you remove that second drain plug located farther back toward the rear of the tractor? Many owners don't know that it is there.

I have replaced the gators on my shift levers to keep water out. Regardless, all of my tractors are stored in a shed.

The answer to your question is yes, you can drain and flush with diesel fuel. It has been done many times by others. Go to the following link and type the word "flushing" into the search box and you will get quite a few threads on the subject. Here is the link:

David Brown Forum Archive

I was always able to get my fluid pretty clean with just one drain (and I've done it to all of my Browns - I own eight of them, and all of them had contaminated hydraulic fluid when purchased).

Question: When you drained your dirty fluid out, did you remove that second drain plug located farther back toward the rear of the tractor? Many owners don't know that it is there.

I have replaced the gators on my shift levers to keep water out. Regardless, all of my tractors are stored in a shed.
I didn't know there was a 2nd drain plug. I did read some of the posts about flushing with diesel fuel, but it seems both sides were covered pretty well and I just wanted to make sure before I did it. My gators are pretty new. Thx.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back