9n 12 volt conversion question

Jbrayton89

New User
First time poster, and I m gonna lead with the disclaimer that I m an idiot.

So I bought a 12 volt kit and rewired my 39 9n as a 12 volt. I followed the video by Dan and Rachel Gingell from farm tractor repair.com.

I did not change the ammeter or the resistor (which I think may be my problem), and when I hooked the negative battery cable up, I got some sparks and the wire from the push button start to the ammeter burned up. The tractor has a key switch, and that was in the off position. Also, tracing from the battery the wire that burned is before the resistor. This has me thoroughly confused. Any help you can offer would be great. Thanks!

This post was edited by Jbrayton89 on 10/27/2022 at 05:43 pm.

I have an ammeter like the one in the picture. I hooked to the posts. Is that my problem?
mvphoto98873.jpg

This post was edited by Jbrayton89 on 10/27/2022 at 07:00 pm.

Jbrayton89 , Is that my problem? Yes Wires hooked to the posts of that style of inductive ammeter is a direct short to ground..Get a new style ammeter or a voltmeter and life will be good.

What makes you say it is a 1939 9N? If it is an early 1939, will have certain parts that are unique and only on a '39 so should consider a complete all original restoration. If you have an early 9N, I will buy your OEM small generator and Voltage Regulator. Email me. Just asking - what was wrong with the OEM 6V/POS GRN system? Don't guess - get the manuals and perform true root cause problem solving. Your LOOP AMMETER isn't a problem. Who told you different? If it wired correctly, take a magnet and swipe across the bezel face and if needle moves, unit is OK. You must have the OEM Ballast Resistor in both the 6V and the 12V circuit. External 1-OHM Resistor is added in coil circuit only if OEM 6V Coil is used on a 12V switch out job. Eliminate if using a 12V coil. Use JMOR's WIRING PICTOGRAMS for reference. There is much to know about the FORD front mount distributor and early wiring setups. Know what each component is - CUTOUT/BALLAST RESISTOR/AMMETER/START PUSHBUTTON. All 9N and 2Ns after 1940 are wired the same. Regardless if using 6V or 12V, your GEN or ALT must have a fan belt tensioning device attached otherwise you will never charge the battery. Stop, disconnect the battery, go thru entire wiring to verify correct. On a 12V job, the GEN and Cutout are removed from the circuit and an ALT replaced instead. Some choose to swap out the AMMETER with a VOLTMETER when doing 12V but an AMMETER is better.

FORD TRACTOR 9N/2N OEM 6V/POS GRN WIRING:
d0yuVcil.jpg

Swubdfml.jpg

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
BewamwZl.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

Disregard the questions about why you are not sticking to 6 volt. That's water over the dam. Unless the wiring is in really good shape and you know it is correct I would suggest to start by replacing the wiring. Either way Tim has provided excellent wiring diagrams that you should follow. This site has very economical wiring harnesses and I suggest buying one. Please take a picture of the key switch and starter button.

If you hooked a wire to the threaded posts on the back of that ammeter, then yes, that is a problem!

That style ammeter is an inductive type gauge that reads the flow of current passing through the heavy gauge yellow wire cradled in the hook at the bottom.
Unlike a conventional automotive ammeter, no other wires should ever be attached to it.

If you do attach a wire to the threaded studs on the back, then it goes directly to ground via the mounting clamp and the gauge body itself.

Thanks for the responses guys. I really thought the ammeter hook up was my problem.

Another quick question, do I need to swap out the resistor? I put in the 12 volt coil that came in my conversion kit. Thanks again!

Thanks for your response with all the info and diagrams. I'm trying to pm you, but when I click on it, I get a blank screen. I'm not sure if the generator and voltage regulator (resistor?) are OEM. I bought the tractor used about 10 years ago. The previous owner told me it was a 1939. I didn't confirm with the serial number.

Installer error : (

Replace that ammeter with a volt meter life will be good...

Ha Ha the ammeter lubbers will come out of the wood work over DAT!...

Don't mater they cannot answer a simple no crank question using their OEM in dash ammeter. Well why is dat Hobo, cuzz their ammeter has no valuable information for most all stuck in the ditch situations they live on the dark side of the moon.

(quoted from post at 06:28:09 10/28/22) Thanks for the responses guys. I really thought the ammeter hook up was my problem.

Another quick question, do I need to swap out the resistor? I put in the 12 volt coil that came in my conversion kit. Thanks again!

If you are talking about the ballast resister mounted on the back of the dish, like in that photo, then, no you don't need to swap that out.

(quoted from post at 14:31:33 10/28/22)
Installer error : (

Replace that ammeter with a volt meter life will be good...

Ha Ha the ammeter lubbers will come out of the wood work over DAT!...

Don't mater they cannot answer a simple no crank question using their OEM in dash ammeter. Well why is dat Hobo, cuzz their ammeter has no valuable information for most all stuck in the ditch situations they live on the dark side of the moon.

that's true, but i can answer that simple question with the free digital harbor freight meter in the toolbox. it works fine when the tractor won't start :D

i have an inductive ammeter too. when i went to 12 volts, i didn't spend extra on a voltmeter. i don't remember if i replaced that wire, but if i did, i ran it thru the loops like the one that was there.

This post was edited by HFJ on 10/28/2022 at 11:45 am.

(quoted from post at 22:40:45 10/28/22)
You can also tote a ammeter in yer pocket for that rare once in a lifetime you mite need it. And that's a mite. : )

hey, i just got my first ever meter that reads DC amps a couple of weeks ago. it's too pretty to bounce around with the tractor :mrgreen:

(quoted from post at 09:42:23 10/29/22)
(quoted from post at 22:40:45 10/28/22)
You can also tote a ammeter in yer pocket for that rare once in a lifetime you mite need it. And that's a mite. : )

hey, i just got my first ever meter that reads DC amps a couple of weeks ago. it's too pretty to bounce around with the tractor :mrgreen:

8)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back