9N 3pt lift is all or nothing for the most part

fastline

I think it is a 9N. is a 1958, grandfather bought new, certainly never bastardized or abused. Runs like a top other than 3pt does not modulate very well. In raising the lift control, there is a long area of travel where the implement does nothing,, then just goes all the way up. Next to impossible to level anything with it.

I don't suspect too much is wrong with it but I don't have a clue how these 3pt systems work. Is there a pilot control valve attached to the control arm? Where do I need to start and where I can shop for a download of a manual for this tractor?

Kind of exciting to have the heritage and background from brand new. My dad's first job tractor and I am sure I will inherit it at some point. Old 6V girl but just cannot modernize it because it is ALL original other than the radiator.

If a 9N, it certainly isn't 1958 as they were made from 1939 to1942, followed by 2N up thru 1947. You lift has Draft Control only & NO Position Control and is performing exactly as it is supposed to. Zane Sherman sells an attachment to give it Position Control.

If it is a 9N, then it only has draft control. That is basically up, or down. There is no position control.

However, one of the board members sells a modification that will give you position control so you can adjust the height of the lift to anywhere you want.

His web site is here and 9N/2N owners who have purchased the mod all seem to be very pleased with it. And, it's just a bolt on installation.

Zane's Lift Stuff

I know for certain it is a 1958 but will have to ask dad on the model. He knows it well and from what I gather from him, it should have position control and is not acting right. He has run the tractor for 50yrs. I am not sure, however, if it positioned as well as his 800.

(quoted from post at 19:02:31 04/13/13) I know for certain it is a 1958 but will have to ask dad on the model. He knows it well and from what I gather from him, it should have position control and is not acting right. He has run the tractor for 50yrs. I am not sure, however, if it positioned as well as his 800.
robably need to do some questioning then. Maybe even about the operation of whatever tractor it is.......if he has used it a long time he will know. If it actually is newer (1958) then it should have a selector for Draft/Position control.........that may be all you need to know for now, or D or P may not function properly???

I confirmed this tractor to be a 641 workmaster. Positioning used to work flawlessly. I need to determine what would cause this behavior.

Are there actually internal hydro cylinders inside the trans case? How does this operate? What puzzles me is how the position lever is relative to position rather than just a +/N/- type control as typical with hydro cylinder controls.

(quoted from post at 20:04:29 04/13/13) I confirmed this tractor to be a 641 workmaster. Positioning used to work flawlessly. I need to determine what would cause this behavior.

Are there actually internal hydro cylinders inside the trans case? How does this operate? What puzzles me is how the position lever is relative to position rather than just a +/N/- type control as typical with hydro cylinder controls.

The cylinder is inside the case as is the control valve. Three point lift systems incorporate a feedback mechanism that senses changes in the lift position caused by uneven terrain or hydraulic leak down. That feedback system "automagically" commands the cylinder UP or DOWN to maintain the relative posiiton setting of the quadrant control. It all happens "under the hood".

TOH

Ah, that makes sense then as the 800 used to bleed down, then would "jump" back to position every 20sec or so. I assume there is probably linkage to relate actual 3pt position to a control valve?

Anway, back to the 641, I feel confident it holds position perfect and just does not position well. I would suspect the valve on this. Is this accessible without a tractor split? Sitting on top of the case maybe?

Did you put the draft/position control selector in position mode so it would
have position control? It's a small lever under your right butt cheek if you're
setting on the seat.
9N/2N didn't have this selector, but later models did.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back