lastcowboy32
Well-known Member
(quoted from post at 14:31:39 08/15/23) We always seem to get side tracked on battery cable sizes. It would be great if one of the wizards out there would school us on the optimum size battery cable. I looked up the resistance of cables and here is what I found: 0 = .0983mOhms/ft, 1 = .124mOhms/ft, and 2 = .1563mOhm/ft. Assuming a 6 volt battery cranking at 350 amps the voltage drop is virtually the same for all cables, less than .055v drop.
Suffice it to say if a battery cable is getting hot without burning out a starter coil, while trying to start the tractor, then it would seem to me there is a large ground on the starting circuit and most likely the resulting voltage is too low to get a good spark. Trouble shoot between the battery and the starter. I would suspect a problem with the solenoid.
I mean...I wrote a book, but your paragraph pretty much sums it up.
The terminals often have more resistance than the cable itself, either due to poor crimp, poor connection to the battery or poor connection to the load (starter, solenoid...)
The whole solenoid thing...it just multiplies the possibilities.
I've replaced a lot of stuff on our old N...but I left the ignition alone...it uses the original pushbutton switch... 6V... positive ground...with the ballast resistor... just like it was built... why?
Because I'm an electrical engineer, and I didn't trust that, if I retrofit anything new/different... that I would always be able to repair/replace with parts compatible with the retrofit...essentially I would have to figure out my own manual instructions every time I worked on the ignition... which defeats the purpose of having a simple old tractor.
I do enough engineering at work... with our N... I just want to go to YT, Amazon or some other source and buy parts made for the 2N... and put it on according to the original manual...which you can still get.
The retrofits come and go... and so do their instructions.