9n - Seems to run only at Wide Open Throttle.

fastx19

New User
All.

Had some issues with the 9n which caused me to just replace the Carb, Governor, Plugs, Cap, and Coil. (Yes, original problem which was lack of power, then stopped running, was the Coil.)

However, now I cannot get her to run very well at all.

Here is the current symptom. Using the choke to start, it runs up to full rpm and will not idle down. Adjusting the governor, we can get it to come down, but it seems to be either full guns or nothing at all.

Couple of other things. The throttle assembly never had a return spring on it and I never had a problem with it idling down, however, now it seems I will need a spring to assist with this? When it is running at full throttle and I move the lever down, It basically does nothing.

Also, the carb. I have checked and rechecked the needle setting and also I am two turns out on both needles.

Thoughts on things I should check? Before all of this started, it ran like happy cat.

Thanks all.

Eric.

(quoted from post at 19:45:08 01/18/21)
(quoted from post at 15:54:25 01/18/21) New carb? New governor? As in brand new?

Yes, as in new. They look very shiny compared to the rest of it. ;)

especially since it turned out to be the coil, i hope u can put your original carb and governor back on ;)

new replacements for those are common sources of problems.

New governors and carbs have a bad reputation on this board. I would take the old ones and rebuild them or have someone do it for you.

You may, or may not, be able to get the aftermarket carb to work.
It's hit or miss. But, your adjustments are not right.
Main adjuster out 1 to 1 1/2 turn to start and the idle mix adjuster
out about 1/2 turn would be pretty close for it to run.
Full speed and won't idle down? Put the old governor back on.

Good afternoon, Royse and all: A few years ago I had governor problems with my 9N and I replaced the ball assembly and shaft, if I recall correctly. (I found the balls had been running against the inside of the cast housing). Problem fixed. Later, during oil change I looked in the screen that is part of the oil pan drain plug, found the snap ring from the governor. Well, no wonder the balls had not been held in their normal track!

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I agree, rebuild the governor or get a good used one. They are not that complicated. If you have a manual, Im sure you could do it yourself, fix the old one that is.
Best of luck

Hi Eric,

The idle, then high revs, could be your
carb, but more likely its the governor.
Suggest trying to isolate which one
first.

Suggest unhook your carb to governor rod,
at the gov end. Use the rod to open/
close the throttle. With no load, very
small amounts open, give lots of rpms.

Measuring under the idle speed set screw,
if open 1/16 inch, expect rpm about 1250.
2200 rpm is less than 1/8 inch open.

If you can control the rpm, the
overspeeding is your gov not pulling the
rod back as it's supposed to, giving the
high rpms.

It's possible that the gov is
overspeeding, and the carb is causing
other symptoms.

Thanks everyone. I will search for the old governor and swap it out to see if that resolves the problems.

I will let you know the fix once it is done.

Thanks.

While looking for that old governor you just might want to keep an eye out for that old carb, too.

I needed a temporary carb until I had the time to properly order and rebuild the ugly/old leaky one that came with my 9N ("Sally"). I thought that it couldn't hurt to eventually have a brand new spare for OMG use someday in the future.

The stupid new/temp one wouldn't run without constant choke manipulation and was absolutely gutless, even after tweaking it for hours. I even tore down the brand new one and checked everything for ?????? Was Sally ever glad when I finished the rebuild and bolted the old, rebuilt one, back on. All was well now but with a dent to my faith in modern "Like but Not the Same As" new parts.

That brand new one now just sits in the "Corner-of-Shame" in the barn.

NEVER throw out old parts with less than 1/4" of old dust on them.

- Joe -

Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold by spraying some starter fluid around the manifold while you have the engine running and listening for a change in the sound of it running.

I had a similar problem once that was solved by simply tightening the bolts on the manifold which sealed things up well again. It was such a mystery for a long time and ended up being such a simple fix.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back