A big cloud?

Thought that might be the case, but appreciate the response!

Any tips on how to ensure I get alignment on the points with the lobes for gap measurement without removing the distributor assembly?

Thank you again!
you never remove the distributor to change the points never
 
Agreed. Do you know if there's a good source for all the parts needed? I'm new to this whole thing.

Thanks in advance!
Years ago the insulator going threw the side of the distributor on the 841S I have went bad. It was replaced with a wire from the coil to the points and silicone filled the hole in the side of the distributor. That was done back in the 80s and is still that way today
 
Years ago the insulator going threw the side of the distributor on the 841S I have went bad. It was replaced with a wire from the coil to the points and silicone filled the hole in the side of the distributor. That was done back in the 80s and is still that way today
Thank you!
 
A few years ago I had to replace those insulators and the copper strip that goes from that screw to the points. at that time I bought all the parts from New Holland, our hosts now offer these parts. Inlet screw kit item #183738 &primary conductor item #111464.
 
As a follow up, I wanted to ask for opinions on the area circled in red in the attached photo.

The little clip that attached to the stud / lead for power coming in to the distributor must have been damaged by the PO and replaced with a wire. I've ordered a new one, since this wire looks toasted, but wondering about what other issues I might need to think about with insulators, etc.

Any thoughts on what else I may want to order and sources?

Thanks all. Awesome group of people!View attachment 69352
Hi Just saw your picture there, looks like that distributor has not seen any distributor cam lube in a while. That rust is abrasive and will wear down the rubbing block on the points very soon. That cam needs to be clean and smooth. Used to be new points came with a capsule with distributor cam lubricant in it. Not any more apparently.
I like to use Blue Streak brand points. They have a pre-lubed wick. Some say you can get them at O'Reilly auto parts if you have the part number.
I usually get them N.O.S. from eBay.

For distributor cam lube, there is N.A.P.A. ECH ML1, and Standard Motor Products SL2. May be others, that is all I know about. In a pinch it is possible to use Silicon dielectric compound as a lubricant, better than nothing. Whatever you use, it only takes a very small amount, wipe it on , wipe it off.
 

Attachments

  • blue-streak2.jpg
    blue-streak2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 48
  • blue-streak1.jpg
    blue-streak1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Hi Just saw your picture there, looks like that distributor has not seen any distributor cam lube in a while. That rust is abrasive and will wear down the rubbing block on the points very soon. That cam needs to be clean and smooth. Used to be new points came with a capsule with distributor cam lubricant in it. Not any more apparently.
I like to use Blue Streak brand points. They have a pre-lubed wick. Some say you can get them at O'Reilly auto parts if you have the part number.
I usually get them N.O.S. from eBay.

For distributor cam lube, there is N.A.P.A. ECH ML1, and Standard Motor Products SL2. May be others, that is all I know about. In a pinch it is possible to use Silicon dielectric compound as a lubricant, better than nothing. Whatever you use, it only takes a very small amount, wipe it on , wipe it off.
That's really great advice! I will get some of that and get it cleaned up and lubed so I don't have to deal with it again as soon. Thank you very much!
 
Just wanted to provide an update for everyone that offered advice.

Replaced the coil, points and distributor primary conductor as well as the primary input. While I was at it, I changed the plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor. I didn't replace the coil based on some of your advice.

Tractor is running like a champ again!

Thank you all again!

Have a great Sunday
 
Just wanted to provide an update for everyone that offered advice.

Replaced the coil, points and distributor primary conductor as well as the primary input. While I was at it, I changed the plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor. I didn't replace the coil based on some of your advice.

Tractor is running like a champ again!

Thank you all again!

Have a great Sunday
Another successful use of the "parts cannon"!

Good to hear you got it running, in the end that's all that matters!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top