By the way, I made the mistake of leaving the key on and am now learning the hard lessons that come with that!Agreed. Do you know if there's a good source for all the parts needed? I'm new to this whole thing.
Thanks in advance!
By the way, I made the mistake of leaving the key on and am now learning the hard lessons that come with that!Agreed. Do you know if there's a good source for all the parts needed? I'm new to this whole thing.
Thanks in advance!
you never remove the distributor to change the points neverThought that might be the case, but appreciate the response!
Any tips on how to ensure I get alignment on the points with the lobes for gap measurement without removing the distributor assembly?
Thank you again!
Years ago the insulator going threw the side of the distributor on the 841S I have went bad. It was replaced with a wire from the coil to the points and silicone filled the hole in the side of the distributor. That was done back in the 80s and is still that way todayAgreed. Do you know if there's a good source for all the parts needed? I'm new to this whole thing.
Thanks in advance!
Thank you!Years ago the insulator going threw the side of the distributor on the 841S I have went bad. It was replaced with a wire from the coil to the points and silicone filled the hole in the side of the distributor. That was done back in the 80s and is still that way today
Thank you. Great advice and makes life a heck of a lot easier!you never remove the distributor to change the points never
Hi Just saw your picture there, looks like that distributor has not seen any distributor cam lube in a while. That rust is abrasive and will wear down the rubbing block on the points very soon. That cam needs to be clean and smooth. Used to be new points came with a capsule with distributor cam lubricant in it. Not any more apparently.As a follow up, I wanted to ask for opinions on the area circled in red in the attached photo.
The little clip that attached to the stud / lead for power coming in to the distributor must have been damaged by the PO and replaced with a wire. I've ordered a new one, since this wire looks toasted, but wondering about what other issues I might need to think about with insulators, etc.
Any thoughts on what else I may want to order and sources?
Thanks all. Awesome group of people!View attachment 69352
That's really great advice! I will get some of that and get it cleaned up and lubed so I don't have to deal with it again as soon. Thank you very much!Hi Just saw your picture there, looks like that distributor has not seen any distributor cam lube in a while. That rust is abrasive and will wear down the rubbing block on the points very soon. That cam needs to be clean and smooth. Used to be new points came with a capsule with distributor cam lubricant in it. Not any more apparently.
I like to use Blue Streak brand points. They have a pre-lubed wick. Some say you can get them at O'Reilly auto parts if you have the part number.
I usually get them N.O.S. from eBay.
For distributor cam lube, there is N.A.P.A. ECH ML1, and Standard Motor Products SL2. May be others, that is all I know about. In a pinch it is possible to use Silicon dielectric compound as a lubricant, better than nothing. Whatever you use, it only takes a very small amount, wipe it on , wipe it off.
Maybe not on that engine and it would depend on your skill lever but for some YES you do.you never remove the distributor to change the points never
Another successful use of the "parts cannon"!Just wanted to provide an update for everyone that offered advice.
Replaced the coil, points and distributor primary conductor as well as the primary input. While I was at it, I changed the plugs and wires as well as cap and rotor. I didn't replace the coil based on some of your advice.
Tractor is running like a champ again!
Thank you all again!
Have a great Sunday
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy