a great first day....

41B-boy

Today was a GREAT day. Got the ‘41B re-assembled after recv’g the redone carb back from Mr. Shelby.
THANK YOU Mr. Shelby (PopinJohn) !!!
Fired right up on about 3 pulls - and settled right down to a solid idle. Let it warm up for about 10 minutes in the barn, backed it out and went to work pulling a spike tooth chain harrow in the dairy field. Put a pretty reasonable load on the ‘ole gal but didn’t want to really push her hard since this is the first REAL runtime she’s had in almost 12 years. New thermometer checked out to +/- 5 degrees. That is one good thing. Currently running straight H2O since the new radiator. I’ll drain and flush soonest and then run 40% AF and water. I think I’ll ask an older gent who bleeds green and knows his 2Cyls, from down the road to look at throttle linkages with me. I think they are a bit out of whack since I had ( unknown to me ) been using a Late A carb before the rebuild. Had it running for almost 4 hours; oil pressure was rock steady at ½ way between L&M until just about the last 10 minutes or so, when it fell to and settled right at L - that’s when I decided to cool her down and call it a great first day. I cannot say exactly how old this oil is… but part of my plan was to get the sludge good and hot and in suspension, then drain and flush the case w/ diesel before I do an oil change w/ new filter. I don’t want to make too much of the falling oil pressure just yet, I’ll presume it’s a sludge issue. Does that sound reasonable? If I need to turn up the pressure screw, I should wait until after a crankcase washout and oil change, right? Did I mention I took it on the road for 3 miles? I wanted to run through all the gears; to my untrained ear everything sounds good. I do notice the selector lever for low/high wants to pop out of low. Annoying to be sure but that can wait for a while. Also, I noticed a little too much front wheel wobble at road speed. In the barn on cement, the steering wheel has about 3-4 inches of freeplay. I’ll read up on the worm / steering sector section of the SM tonight. I’ve had it all apart and the bearings seem fine, I’ll bet I didn’t reassemble it carefully enough, also, I recall gaskets play a role here, we shall see.No leaks, squeals, explosions, burps or farts, so I’m awfully happy. What should I be looking and listening for? She’s been in the barn and on my “to do” list for 8 years. No need to fix everything all at once – need to leave time for a beer and a cigar. Any pitfalls I should be aware of after sitting this long?
Bob

Looks like you got a good plan. I would not get too concerned with the drop in oil pressure until you get the crank case cleaned out. Good luck with the old girl!

What gauge are you using for oil pressure?
The new ones (from India) read low. I bought a new one, and it read between low and medium at idle. The original, which still works but isn't as pretty, read between medium and high. A SW analog gauge showed 15 psi at slow idle and 20 psi at fast idle. This is in my 1950 B.
IMHO don't flush the engine with diesel. Just change the oil a couple of times. Walmart sells gallon jugs of 10W-30 for $14. Stir up a bunch of 50 year old sludge and you may get your high oil pressure.... permanently.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back