A little help from the experts.

Younger

New User
I have an original condition 1948 F Cub that I am restoring. The tractor is in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically, with the exception of a few nicks and faded paint. I am planning on having it painted soon, and want to do everything I can to achieve perfection prior to the paintbooth. Here is a little rundown on what I have done:

degreased tractor
changed oil/filter
changed trans and steering box lube
repaired bent clutch insp plate
installed new implement mounting bolts
replaced all hoses and tower clamps
flushed and refilled cooling system
cleaned breather and intake caps
cleaned oil cup

Things left to be done:

change final drive oil and gaskets
r&r front tires
clean, inspect and grease wheel bearings
replace 2 dented light rings
r & r wiring harness
replace grommets (before or after painting??)
check front wheel wobble
replace seat with original type
replace grille and side wings

What other things should I be looking for? I do not want to be messing around fixing things after the paint job. The carb leaks when the gas is left on. Should I rebuild it?? It appears that nothing else is leaking, so should I skip replacing various seals and gaskets??

Any and all tips would be appreciated.
 
The best paint jobs start with being stripped to bare metal first. Remember, any imperfection including chips in paint that are just feather sanded will show up in the final finish. Small rust pits and or dust and dirt will show also. it can be a big job, but if done well will look super instead of mediocre.
 
Also im sure you did but change the diff/trans oil too. As for the carb, the needle in on the float has prob dried out and no longer makes a seal, i replaced mine on my 49 cub, that had the same issue. I would start there it could be more serious though since the cub carb was made of grey iron, it has a tendency to warp, this could also be the prob, but i would start with the $20 carb kit :)
Also www.farmallcub.com all cub stuff there!! lots of good cub info/people there.

Hope this helps

Andrew
 
Just my 2 cents?

Make sure all leaks are repaired and dry.

Then......................don't paint it with one of those flashy, wet-look, dull coat/clear coat, mirrored automotive finishes.

Makes 'em look like, and as phoney as, a cheap $3 hooker. :>)

Like I say, just my opinion,

Allan
 
I would use either PPG's Omni Single Stage paint
or Martin Senours Crossfire paint. If you want to see a tractor painted with Martin Senour's let me and I will post a picture. Hal
 
I wouldn't replace any seals or gaskets that are not leaking. Often the new replacement gasket is not as good as the old one and will leak as soon as you put it in. I tinkered with my MTA for over 2 years, fixing everything I thought it needed and running it alot trying to find new things. I wanted a perfect restoration job that would astound everyone anywhere it went. I finally gave up thinking something else would go bad and painted it. The paint wasn't even dry before I noticed a new leak on the pto housing. I rebuilt the carb before paint and it worked great, now the needle or float is sticking and it runs over, so I have to take it apart. Any job worth doing is worth doing right, but be prepared to put a wrench on a bolt head with nice, new, shiny paint on it, because it's gonna happen.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top