A Little Massey 65 Difficulty

fixt

1964 Massey model 65
AD4.203 Perkins Diesel
UNDM 704769

I put my injection pump back on the tractor today. I'm having a hard time getting the injection pump to prime; Dieseltech says he's certain I've still got air in it. That's good enough for me. I'll keep plugging at it. He said some are easy to prime, some are not easy. It's the way of things I reckon.

Aligning the the pump drive slot with the gear dowel is not too bad, you may have to slide it in and out a few times to rotate the gear adapter until it finally goes into place. You can then reach into the gear end and feel the gap between the gear and adapter to make sure it seated correctly.
That backside pump top adapter nut is a cast iron bi%&*! to get to and it takes some creative ratchet extension configurations to get to it, no mind the patience to tighten. A real pain, that one.

I found I had a leak on the secondary filter when hooking up the lines. This was the rear line that comes out of the filter into the inj pump transfer vanes, the rear of the pump. Could not get it to stop and it looked and felt like the fitting was cocked or otherwise worn out, so I ordered another from Ebay. It was probably drawing air through that fitting.
Also, the fuel lift pump felt like it would stick no matter where I rolled it to I couldn't get full stroke on the pump. Would stroke maybe 1/4" anywhere I rolled it to. Again I ordered parts, another fuel lift pump. The old looks to be original so its 55 years old?

I'm into it now for a secondary filter housing, fuel lift pump, 2 new fuel filters (these only have 35 hours) and the pump reseal.
And the stinking dog ate my injection pump gasket so I had to make another. Its a dog doing dog things.

So parts wise, its turned into a greater undertaking than it should have been, but hey, its an old tractor. I love my tractor.

I spun it with the starter and ran down the battery a little, so I'm taking the Honda generator back tomorrow to charge it back up. It charges at about 8 amps so I won't need to run it too awful long.

I'll update again when I get it running. Getting all the air out has to be the hardest thing.

OK, I went back today and put the tractor on charging current. I revented upper and lower injection pump vents. A little foam out of the upper, but solid stream thereafter from both upper and lower vents, repeated about 30 mins apart over about 2 hours.
Tractor had good battery charge and roll over speed.

No fuel from the injection pipes, not even a dribble. I rocked the stop rod back and forth a couple times also, just because.
Not even a dribble.

I'm guessing I'll wait until the lift pump and secondary fuel filter are here then start over when I'm satisfied there aren't any leaks prior to the injection pump. I'll also doublecheck the banjo bolt air vent on the secondary fuel filter. I doubt it, but it could be.
All that won't be until Tuesday.

I'm gonna take my hand vacuum pump with me also because you just never know. It might help to get fuel flowing.
Wish me luck.

My 65 is a real pain to bleed. After many tries, I now use a little air pressure in the fuel tank and have found that helps a lot.

I know that the slightest bit of air in the fuel or injector lines or the filters and it just will not start.

I have thought of replacing the lift pump with an electric pump. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

How much air pressure Bob?
2-3 lbs through a regulator or how did you set that up?
I'm certainly willing to give that try after I get the new parts on if that doesn't resolve my issue.

Thanks for that idea.

Finally it is fixt.
It was a little frustrating, but no matter now.

I tried several different things, finally in desperation I loosened the top cover and heard a very slight "katink". Throttle was about 3/4. I tipped up the cover and reached in with a slim probe to poke at the metering valve and it was indeed free.
Dieseltech thinks the metering valve was stuck due to rough handling during shipping, said he's seen it before.

At any rate, the adapter pipes began spitting fuel when I rolled the engine so I again vented the pump to my satisfaction and tightened everything up after reinstalling the lines.

It started right up, so all is good now after about an hour of running it around.
No drips, no runs, no errors.
All is good.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back