A Shop....interior walls

Farmall 656

Thank you for all of the great ideas you all shared with me on a previous post about A Shop...the little things. This time I am seeking your ideas/thoughts about how to finish off the interior walls of my shop. I know I will like the white tin walls - cheap, clean and bright. But I know there will be the echo. What have you used for your interior walls of your shops? What are the good/best materials for the walls? A little background, this shop will be 32'x36'x14', no heavy metal work, occasional/usual tractor-equipment maintenance/up keep, there will be some storage in there, etc...

A nice thing about steel is it doesn't burn. You might want to line your welding area with metal siding and use something else for the rest.

My shop walls and ceiling are 7/16" OSB. It used to be pretty cheap, not so much now. Hopefully the price will come down in a few months. I like it because it's pretty tough and you can attach stuff to it fairly easily.

I would only use steel or drywall, not even consider OSB! It will soak up gallons of paint, be time consuming to paint, and never look finished, and it burns! I think once you fill up the shop with storage shelves and some cabinets the echo won't be noticeable.

Do not be afraid of drywall,fireproof,easy to paint and in a garage you really do not need to tape,
just hang and be done.

I used the white steel liner panels. They were less money than exterior steel and seem fine after several years. When fist put up in empty building I noticed the echo. Once it was filled up not so much.

My shop is about 19x33x9'4".
I used 5/8" type X (fire rated) sheetrock throughout.
Taped it with durabond.
The electrical is all surface mount - 1/2 thinwall conduit.

OSB I put mine on in the summer time, easy to paint by laying in the yard and rolling the paint on, didn't seem to take a lot of paint. And like been said, easy to hang things on.

I went with 7/16 osb on the walls and ceiling. I thought about going metal on the ceiling but was concerned about the echo. I’ve liked the osb, you can hang things wherever you want (for the most part) and I didn’t even paint any of it.

OSB

cvphoto67694.jpg

Original shop is 60' x 125' steel clear span with 16' walls. Walls and ends are covered with white steel over blanket insulation, roof has a 4" blanket insulation and 1 1/2' white faced Celotex on the bottom of the purlins. Noise has not been a factor.

Lowes sells a 4 by 8 sheet siding. The exterior is a plastic wood grain look that is paintable. It's also pretty inexpensive. We put it on our chicken house and it seems to be pretty tuff.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back