Adages.....

Goose

I love adages that overstate the obvious.

One of my favorites is, "The effectiveness of a firearm is greatly enhanced if it is loaded".

Does anyone else have any good ones?

“The difficulty of the job at hand is directly proportional to the amount of profanity used to complete it.”

Always held true for me.

" All hand grenades found to have short fuses must be returned to the manufacturer immediately..." unc

"The more things change, the more they stay the same"

Has provided me with a lot of comfort in my life and has generally proven to be true.

Two of my personal favorites are "The burned child fears the spilled milk" (P. G. Wodehouse) and "An ill wind grows no moss" (Gerald Durrell). They are applicable to many of life's situations.
Zach

Heard a new one myself tonight. Fellow I know was discussing a mutual acquaintance who's so talkative as to be nearly impossible to get away from. It might not register with the younger crowd, but both of these guys are old enough that this would have been well within their experiences, and the fellow says to me "I think he was nnalert with a Victrola needle"!

MURPHYS LAW: #1 anything that can go wrong will go wrong at the most inappropriate time! #2 the number and the scope of your troubles is directly proportional to the distance from home!

Shakespeare was the most over rated hack ever! I also like "We went to different schools together" and my FIL's favorite, "He couldn't pour P out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the heel."

"It's better to wear out than rust out" Heard this from an old man who lived somewhere in western Nebraska.

A couple from my grandfather:

"The fastest way to double your money is to fold it
in half and put it back in your pocket."

"The best exercise is not push-ups, it's push-backs.
Try them the next time you're at the table!"

When my teenage sons would question my knowledge of life I would say, I wish I was as smart now as I was dumb then.

"We must either wear out or rust out every one of us. My choice is to wear out."
? Theodore Roosevelt, The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph

My younger son claims "When there's snow on the roof the furnaces's OUT!!" Smart aleck ...

If you hold your nose to the grind stone rough
And keep it down there long enough
You will forget there are such things
As brooks that babble
And birds that sing
These few things will your world compose
Just you, a stone, and your dang old nose.

Nothing in life is serious enough to be taken seriously.
The worst it can do is kill you,
And your gonna die eventually.

Don't ever give advice....Wise Men don't need it and Fools won't heed it.

When a child reaches adolescents he/she should be placed in a barrel, nail the lid shut and feed him/her through the bung hole, when the child reaches 17 years of age you should nail the bung hole shut....Will Rogers

One day at work we were discussing a recent failure by the brass and a co-worker said in the Air Force he was taught, "Proper planning prevents poor performance". I told him in this case "Pee Poor Planning Prevented Progress". I thought he was going to fall out of his chair.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Getting older is good, but being old stinks.

Ask him to look up how old Mick Jagger's youngest son is and how old he is and do the math.

You can be careful several times a day, but you can get killed only once.

I never had any trouble trailering anything that was tied down too well.

I believe Will Rogers said something to the effect of: This is the only country in the world where a fella can drive himself to the poor house in a new car.

The person who will cause you the most troubles in life is that guy looking back at you in the mirror.

Speaking of someone who knows it all. If I could buy him for what he knows and sell him for what he thinks he knows, I'd be a rich man.

A consultant is a person that knows 150 different ways to make love, but doesn't know any women......... or men.

"Learn from others mistakes, for you cant possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." But also "you have to make your own mistakes, for none can make them for you."

My Grand Father would say "When you get old, you get tired quicker and stay tired longer"

From my father in law who was bald--you can't have hair and brains both.
Old farmer friend--I'm so poor I can't afford a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

a quote from a good friend of mine when talking to a young engineer about a bunch of changes he came up with on metering stations that big al had been building for close to 20 years, the young engineer wanted to make a whole bunch of changes and when he got done listing them all he asked al what he thought: al turned and looked at him and said "son I think if brains were leather you wouldn't have enough to make a jock strap for a flea"---- that's as close as I ever came to p**ing my pants at work :lol:

One I think of often when I'm on here is -

Arguing with a fool is like wrestling a pig in the mud. All you get for your effort is dirty, then you realize the pig likes it!

I think a lot on this one -

Never associate with a person who say's "Nothing personal, it's just business". You're likely the next person he rips off.

A few years ago I decided to make an attempt at raising some sheep. I called an older friend/farmer/mentor of mine who raises sheep and has for the last 50 years. I asked him for any advice he can give. He asked "Have you heard of Murphy's law?" I said yes, he replied "Murphy was a sheep farmer" lol

A few of my favorites otherwise is "Youth is wasted on the young" and one I came up with is "An open eye sees more than an open mouth".

Friend who was a Prototype Shop Supervisor had a sign in his office......"In every project or product there comes a time to burn the plans, shoot the engineer, and start production"

(quoted from post at 19:44:21 02/01/18) I live by " forgiveness is always easier to ask for than permission"

Ha! I fired a guy for saying that once. He had violated policy and was just getting a reprimand until he made it clear he knew he should have asked for permission and would have been denied.

My Dad didn't use profanity. But somtimes when he got frustrated he would say "It's not worth a pinch of poop!"

About some one stupid.."If you put his brain on the sharp edge of a razor blade,,it would look like a Bebe in the middle of a 4 lane Highway"

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back