Advice on older cab tractors

Ray IN

I eventually want to find a decent cab tractor, 100-120 hp, with air conditioning that works or can be economically fixed. I know there are some 4230s and 4430s that would be fine, but good ones are often 25k+. Today I saw an ad for a nice looking Ford 7610 with a cab, 3000 hrs, for $16,750. That got me thinking maybe I can get a better deal if I look at some different colors. What I don't know is how hard it will be to keep the ac working in some of these older cabs on Case, White, Ford, ect. What are the models you would recommend for an economical haying tractor for a couple hundred hours of use per year? Thanks for your great advice as always!

one of my neighbors bales with a 886 cab tractor,and he highly recomends it,and a lot of guys around here use them as well.they are very nice tractors and 15k will get you a really immaculate one.since you are looking for more hp,maybe a 986 would be better

I have a 4430 and don't recommend one. I did know someone with a 2090. His biggest problem with the ac was a hose from the compressor would rub the hood and wear a hole in the hose. Didn't matter how you routed that hose or how he tried to wrap it up. It would get a hole in it from the vibration of the hood.

I do think the Ford 7710 would be a good tractor.

I'm gonna make the green guys mad at me, but if you don't know how to work on ac or don't want to hire it done, stay away from JD 30 40 50 and 55 series tractors. I live in East Texas where summer is always 90 to 100 degrees and high humidity. I know guys that have older JD's and they always have ac problems. My cousin had 2 2955's and a 4230 that we were always working to keep ac running. Things got a lot better when he went to newer JD's with the square cab configuration. Has few problems with them. I have 2 Allis Chalmers with cab, a 6080 and a 7040. I also have 2 Ford's with cab, a 7710 and a 8630. The cabs are well made on all 4 of them, I have few ac problems, parts are pretty much available aftermarket for all 4, and I would recommend any of them as far as older cab tractors go.

(quoted from post at 21:03:49 02/01/20) I have a 4430 and don't recommend one. I did know someone with a 2090. His biggest problem with the ac was a hose from the compressor would rub the hood and wear a hole in the hose. Didn't matter how you routed that hose or how he tried to wrap it up. It would get a hole in it from the vibration of the hood.
My 2090 makes a great haying tractor. And pretty much any other job on the farm. I had the AC recharged with Dura Cool so long ago I can't remember when and it just never quits working. It does need a new temperature switch installed. I just by passed the switch with a toggle to get by with until I can install the new switch. Its an 8 speed standard so no power shift problems. Getting hard to find one that age that hasn't been well worn out by now though.

Had a 7700 with a locally made copy of a ford cab which was better than no cab. Dropped a valve in the engine not good, so transplanted a 7710 motor in. The sequential gears for haying are great and the dual power allows you to slow down when hitting a heavy patch no synchro tested the changing skills. Never had anything to do with a 7710 would assume it would be better. Have a 7840 now and the three ranges on the synchro are trickier to get the right gear when baling. A 7710 if well looked after should be great. Look after the turbo change oil at recommended intervals and idle at recommended revs will lead to no problems.

Where is this? An excellent 4230-4430 with SGB are around 16,500 dollars going by area auction prices with even the dealers under 20,000 dollars. Last I knew a 4440 had to be in mint condition with under 5000 hours to approach 25,000 dollars. As far as to who had the best air conditioning system I'm surprised that the Waterloo JD's have such a poor regard here. Having an IH 986 for almost 25 years while I like the tractor a lot I would not say that the cab and related systems are its strong point. Other brands have varying degrees of quality in terms of AC. If you don't have a preference the Ford 7610-7710 have a good reputation in my mind but not the HP of the 4230-4430. White 2-105 is a good tractor but given the limited quantity built finding a nice one will not be easy and the price won't be far off of a 4230.

Yes the ford 7710 is a great tractor, but if you want a ford with more hp, look at the tw5 105 pto hp, my friend bought one new in the 80s still has it, seems to have been a good tractor for him. Anything you but that old may have problems, so you either have to learn how to fix it or pay someone to do it.

Get a 4430 or 4230 and have something you want especially if you can get a power shift . The ac will keep it cold enough you could keep ice cream in the cab.

7710 Ford is under 100hp, but the guys I know that have them do turn them up to about 100hp. And they will pull a two row forage harvester , or handle a big round baler just fine. Not a big clumsy tractor, just nice size for hay work, and keeping the Ac working doesn?t seem to be a issue.

I have no problem keeping the AC on my JD 4255 blowing cold air. It utilizes 134A refrigerant & most of the AC hoses are original. I also own a Ford 6700 that the AC blows cold air. One must understand farm equipment AC systems operate in much dustier conditions than most automobiles/pickups & & must strive to keep filters,condensers & evaporators blown free of dirt & chaff.

IHC 86 series would be one of the last tractor models I'd choose to operate. My neighbor had a 986 I drove for 1/2 a day plowing & I made myself a mental note of "never again" & attached field cult to my JD tractor to finish plowing the fields.

Most people don?t like 80?s Massey?s but they can be bought really cheap and depending on the model are actually good tractors. The good ones I?m thinking of are 3505 and 3525. 6 cyl engines and nice cabs as well.

I really wanted a 7710 but came across a super nice 7700 and decided to buy it as a project. The 7710 will handle a 4x5 baler just fine. Have a friend that uses a 7710 for a hay tractor that I?ve ran quite a bit and I love it. They are very easy on fuel. Only major thing I would recommend with a 7710 is a full set of front weights.

I gotta agree with Philip... We really liked our White 2-105. Perkins engine starts and runs great. 6 speed, with 3 speed power shift is great. Downsides relative to Deere 4230... No diff lock, no foot throttle, and the cab is a bit louder (I used headphones). The newer White ?red stripe? tractors (beware of fakes), and the 2-110 and 110 are even better, if you can find/afford them.

I went through the same thing last year. Hard to go wrong with a JD with soundgard cab, but very pricy too. I looked mostly at IH 66 and 86 series tractors as I feel they are a great bang for the buck. However, invariably the ones I found were extremely wore out and needed to stop at a repair ship for some major work - adding to the price tag before coming to the farm. That?s when I widened my search to first JD and then to the MF 1100/1130 and 1105/1135 series tractors. I found a really nice 1105 with just shy of 4,800 hours and bought it. It has so far been a great tractor. Perkins 354, multipower, very roomy cab - easy in/out, controls/ergonomics very well laid out. I?m happy with my purchase.

Good luck,
Bill

cvphoto3924.jpg

My advice is to look around your area and determine which color is missing. Usually a reason.....may have nothing to do with your intended usage nor preferences. Around here White, Oliver and Case are seldom seen. As a result, they can be had much cheaper at a sale. On shopping other areas, for me, it has to be sight...SEEN. Won't buy something I haven't "kicked the tires".....too many gotchas.

Next thing is when I bought my 100 PTO HP, 1979 JD 4230, Soundguard Cab, cosmetically restored with all new rubber, full set of weights front and rear wheel, 4k hours, hydro, with new 134a AC system, and all, in 2005, it was sitting next to a 4430 with 10k hours, also restored, don't know if more than cosmetics. I operated both and there was an obvious difference in the "feel" of both. The former felt tight, the latter felt loose, but the 4430 was a popular tractor with the turbo boosting the HP to 125 with everything else the same with the design, best I could tell. I paid $17k for the 4230 and the 4430 was priced at $19k.

Seems that tractors are cheaper down here. I have bought and transported tractors from outside my area, requiring overnight accommodations. One thing is for sure. If you spot what looks like a good deal, you had better get on it; don't wait. Lot of tractor flippers out there who scan sources daily and they will beat you to it if you let them. Course, flippers (used tractor/equipment dealers included, aren't all bad). They have saved me a lot of time and travel, and the two I frequent pick quality merchandise without me having to do a lot of leg work as would be the case if I bought directly from the seller.

Both the 7710 and 7610 were very big sellers for Ford. IMHO you would be much happier with one for haying than the larger framed Deere. The hours on that unit looks absurdly low. Check the story carefully, but if it is a go move fast! it will be gone in a few hours

I have a 2-85 white I use for round bales. I like the vision from the cab,and the ease of steering. the AC works very good for a 1979 tractor. it has 3400 hrs. has the perkins 354 in it, an 85 h.p. tractor. not that bad on fuel.I did want a red tractor but this one came up and took a chance. I would say the white is an alright tractor. you might want to go with the 2-105, if your looking for 100 h.p.

Like what others have said can't go wrong with the tractors mentioned in this post.When it comes to older tractors in that horsepower range its all about condition,condition,condition.Having either ran or worked on most makes and models I can tell you that the series three and later Whites will be the most bang for your buck.Or better yet the workhorse series.Very good tractors but then your looking at 20-30 k for a good one.

Paul

cvphoto3961.jpg

I bought this White 2-88 series 3 pretty cheap,only has around 3400 hours on the clock.It needed cosmetic and a few other minor repairs but mechanically in great condition.Quite,roomy cab with great hvac system,closed center hydraulics,19gpm pump,dot 4 perkins,540/1,000 pto,almost bulletproof transmission with a three speed powershift giving you eighteen forward gears,only drawback it freewheels in low but no big deal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back