Aftermarket oil pumps

TheOldHokie

This is the first one I have had in my hands. Nice piece complete with bushing and ready to accept the .725 wide pump gears. The TISCO aftermarket gear kit went in without a hitch and runs silky smooth. When I bolted it up to an old engine block I keep around here the #1 main bearing bore is .005-.006 out of round. That was expected. Tying to install and run the engine without correcting that out of round condition would be a recipe for engine failure. Main bearing caps do not interchange and the customer's block will almost surely have to be align honed to match this cap to the block and OEM caps. Once that is done this pump should be a major upgrade from the original OEM pump with .562 wide pump gears. Cost for the new housing and gears was $175. By the time the align hone is done cost for this replacement will be close to $400. If it were my engine I would consider it a good investment.

TOH

mvphoto74101.jpg

(quoted from post at 14:58:54 04/24/21) Are the gears sold separately

If so, one must wonder why.

Dean

Perfectly normal and nothing for me to wonder about.

The part number is 8N-6603 which is the body with bushing as shown in the Ford MPC. Likewise all three gears and the bushing can be purchased individuslly under their respective part numbers as per the MPC. That is the way Ford broke it out and that is what the aftermarket copied.

The APN6600B overhaul kit which is not listed in the MPC contains all three gears, the bushing, and the gasket for half of what the gears cost individually so you get an extra bushing which I put in the bag of bushings i keep on hand.

What I would wonder about is why anyone would buy/replace individual gears and not the full set.....

TOH

Probably the same reason mechanics I've known that don't replace the pressed on gear on the crank when doing a timing set.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back