Ahhh DUH, I did it again....

Had a great day yesterday.
Finally was able to right a large overturned stump in the front yard. Stump is from a 70+ foot white pine that hung up on 2 beech trees when it went over in a storm on fall of '09. It had grown on/into a ledge and its root ball is better described as a root plate with a circumference of over 12 ft. Stump itself is still about 10 ft high and about 30" at its base. When the tree guy dropped it, it turned upside down over the ledge.

There it stayed as 2 other attempts to right it failed as it was still too heavy and I could not get near enough to it due to surrounded woods.

Well, yesterday I spent 2 hrs clearing a path thru the front lot woods and finally got right up on it. Nudged it couple times with the loader and then put a chain around it and pull it up right quick as I got it to do a barrel roll down a incline. Came up so quick I thought it was gonna fall and hit loader.
So I was all happy!

Then like my usual dumb butt self I set myself on a bolder sticking out of the ground. Get after it with hoe which I should know by now needs ALL the hoses changed except the one I did last time I blew a hose. POP, crap. Then, because I can't leave it in the front yard due to PITA locality, I quickly drove about 100 yards to where I keep it. By the time I went to pull it in power steering was gone.

Big mess again, hydro oil all over crushed stone driveway again.
WHY, WHY do I have a obsession with large rocks?
And why was I not smart enough to just shut it right down where it popped and leave it there?

AHH, DUH.

Pete the Rookie(and it shows)

The "rookie" part of your name perhaps indicates an acknowledged lack of "wisdom" on your part. Let me remind you that accumulated "wisdom" is often gained thru many, many acts such as you describe. You ARE gaining "wisdom"...be thankful for that opportunity!!

Hope you get her fixed w/o too much difficulty!!

Good luck...Rick

Dave, Rick,

Yes, I gave myself the Rookie name because this is the 1st tractor, 1st diesel and 1st piece of "real equipment" I have ever owned.
Heck, I never even had a ride on mower! LOL.

Lots of experience with autos, which I still always do everything myself. Been doing that since I was 16 and I made it to 50 this year.

And I have to pat myself on the back, I have gotten pretty proficient at running this 4500TLB, absolutely love its power.

What I do not like is how/where all those hoe hoses go into the controls under the deck.

Last hose, luckily could be gotten from the right side access hole and it was in the back row of hoses. This house is smack in the middle of the front row of hoses and I have no idea how to get to it.
Kicking myself for not doing as a experienced neighbor suggested and dismounting the hoe so we could easily change all the hoses at one time.
But once one pops and you can't stop fluid from pumping out, makes it hard to dismount the hoe.

I like what one member did, he cut the controls out of the deck and then welded a plate in the deck so he could just unbolt the entire control box, lift it up a few inches and get at all the hoses. Going to run that by my neighbor(he is a welder) to see if he can do it for me. Other wise I got to take off all the hoses and try and put them all back on the right way in the right order! Yikes, that is doable but I could easily misplace a hose.

Ugh,

Pete

Make up oil and water resistant labels (or a color-code) and label every hose before you start. A tag wired on might be more durable than any sort of sticky-tape label. Have aluminum foil handy and cap things off to keep dirt out as you go.

If you remove the tractor seat, access into the lower hoe area improves immensely - but it is certainly true that dismounting the hoe with its own hydraulics would have been the best way to get in there - possibly too late for that now. If you can leak a bit more it might be worth setting the hoe as for a dismount/park and then using a jack and jackstands (or the stabilizers, depending how bad your leak really is) to get the hoe off the tractor hooks, disconnect it and drive the tractor away from it. Don't try to do too much with the loader without the backhoe on, unless you make up a weight box - the rear end will be awfully light. The high-pressure hoses loop (one stays on the tractor, one stays on the hoe, each connected to the other one's fitting) and the return hose should have a cap screwed onto a plug under the deck of the hoe - remove the cap, attach the return hose to the plug, put the cap on the tractor return fitting. Might be missing the cap, but it should be there. May need to clean a bit to notice it...

Larry,
Took your advice, removed hoe seat.
Also took of the utility tool box welded to the edge of the back hoe deck. It was a galvanized steel box the size of a mailbox. I have no use for it as I us my TLB on my 1/5 acre "spread".

Was able to get the split hose off.

Unfortunately there are 2 more of these lower hoses that are ruined due to abrasion.

Looks like the hoses are too long and this causes them to bow out bottom and the sheathing is getting worn off and then the wire mesh?

I found the Hoe model nbr and it says its a 753.

Is that right for a '66 4500TLB?

The New Holland site list
753-SERIES BACKHOE (1/75-7/80)
018 HOSE ASSEMBLY & RELATED PARTS FROM VALVE TO BOOM
Item #1, Qty6 D8NND558EA FLEXIBLE HOSE, Hose
Assy., Hydraulic, 59".

This site lists these?
PARTS FORD LBP 291016 Hose Assembly - Hose, valve bank to cylinders (6 used). For Backhoe Models- 735, 750, 755. (Part No: )

I am a we bit confused.

On my current setup the hyrdo lines that go thru the bottom of the swing arm are thicker then the 2 that go out the top of it?

This might be my issue as these thicker lines all seems to be binding up in the swing arm body and getting destroyed.

I know, I know, I need to post pics tomorrow morning to confirm the hoe model and clarify the hydro lines.

Ran out of daylight today.

Pete<

Last year I was pulling small stumps (4" to 10" diameter) and the smaller ones I was just leaving until I could come back and toss them onto a trailer to haul off. I pulled one stump with chains and didn't notice that my position had shifted a bit. I backed up and onto one of the "leaners" and jacked myself up onto the stump under the axle with my now flat toolbox between the axle and the stump. D'oh!

Continued application of nautical terminology did not help much, but I was able to rempve and pound the toolbox back into shape on an anvil with a pinchbar pushed inside and four pound mallet.

(quoted from post at 08:27:54 09/18/11) Had a great day yesterday.
Finally was able to right a large overturned stump in the front yard. Stump is from a 70+ foot white pine that hung up on 2 beech trees when it went over in a storm on fall of '09. It had grown on/into a ledge and its root ball is better described as a root plate with a circumference of over 12 ft. Stump itself is still about 10 ft high and about 30" at its base. When the tree guy dropped it, it turned upside down over the ledge.

There it stayed as 2 other attempts to right it failed as it was still too heavy and I could not get near enough to it due to surrounded woods.

Well, yesterday I spent 2 hrs clearing a path thru the front lot woods and finally got right up on it. Nudged it couple times with the loader and then put a chain around it and pull it up right quick as I got it to do a barrel roll down a incline. Came up so quick I thought it was gonna fall and hit loader.
So I was all happy!

Then like my usual dumb butt self I set myself on a bolder sticking out of the ground. Get after it with hoe which I should know by now needs ALL the hoses changed except the one I did last time I blew a hose. POP, crap. Then, because I can't leave it in the front yard due to PITA locality, I quickly drove about 100 yards to where I keep it. By the time I went to pull it in power steering was gone.

Big mess again, hydro oil all over crushed stone driveway again.
WHY, WHY do I have a obsession with large rocks?
And why was I not smart enough to just shut it right down where it popped and leave it there?

AHH, DUH.

Pete the Rookie(and it shows)

ok...f irst make a drawing of where all the hoses go.. or you will mess up.. show even where they cross over, etc...

now go buy a buch of cheap wrenches the size of of the hose and hose coupler. then take a torch and cut off the sides of the jaws of the wrenches so that they barely fit between all the hoses.. you have to cut up several wrench of what ever size they are... seems like 1 1/8 if memory serves me.. and then go after all of the bad hoses and get them all changed... you will cuse and yell and take a week to get em all off and a week and a half to get em all on... but yes.. you will get there.. and your done for another 40 years... check the bushings on the hoe pivot points as well.

I agree with sotxbill about modifying wrenches. When I did mine, I was lucky enough to find some good quality combination wrenches at a flea market, and cut them in half to make them short enough to get in where the hoses connect to the valves.

I cut an opening in the boxed end of the wrenches to make homebrew "Line Wrenches" of sorts. I couldn't have done it without these wrenches.

Just price Snap On line wrenches of those sizes if you need an incentive to try this. Even if you have to buy some Craftsman wrenches to cut up you will still come out ahead.

Myron

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back