All wood horse drawn implements

Jg20601

Talking to my aunt I found out that before they had a steel wheel utility cart for the Mccormick 10-20 they still used a 2 horse slide. We got onto that after talking about her uncles mule slide and the yearly trip to get Christmas trees.
The simplest slide (2 feet wide,up to 6 feet long) would be made from 2 2x4s with boards nailed across. holes would be put in the end of the runners and a length of rope installed so it could be pulled between the rows by hand or by 1 horse.
The mule slide and 2 horse slide had crossbeams attatched to the runners, the body attatched to the crossbeams. the mule slide was 30 inches wide, the 2 horse one slightly bigger.
When I searched online i found a story about an Austrailian dairy slide with pics used where there were no roads, but very little else.
Another all wood implement was the hill making plow that used 2 small boards and would make piles of dirt every 3 feet. It was abandoned somewhere when they got a modern tobacco planter after WW2.
Other than that there were wooden drags and row markers and row makers.
Anybody else have any pics or other implements they have seen?

Back in the late 1940"s my late dad made a V-plow
using wooden 2 X 12's. He used a team of horses and it did a good job of plowing the snow. Sure beat shoveling. We had to get that milk out since that milk truck from the creamery was never late. It was a big Mack truck and back then they used tire chains. Hal

Don't have any pictures, but I remember the (mule-drawn) slides. Every farm around 'here' had one, which was home-made. They were used for on-the-farm transport when it wasn't worth the effort to hook up the wagon. Typical uses were to move middle-busters, turning plows, one-row planters, seed, etc.

In the early 50s, my Dad made what he called a toad, looked like a stoneboat whith out a deck. We hauled pulp wood, and heating wood out of the woods with it behind a single horse, that was shod with shoes with corks. He bolted it togather, and used a beech tree for the wood. Ihad a stack in each corner, to hold the load on. We also used a wooden scraper a little. That was left at the farm when we moved there.

There used to be lots of wooden 'floats'here (used for smoothing fields for irrigation befor e landplanes),and lapdrags(4-6 overlaped timbers ) that were used to crush clods after disking.

Great grandfather always used a sled behind his work horses, whether winter or summer, to haul stuff around the farm. He worked with horses, never had a car or tractor. I don't know if he even knew how to drive a car. I remember the sled being pretty stout, probaby made of 3" thick boards, and probably bout 4' wide and 8' long. It was pulled by a single horse. The one thing I do remember clearly was that he had a slab from the side of a tree nailed on the runners. This resulted in the "runners" having the curved portion (the part of the tree that had the bark on it) against the ground.
The last two work horses he had were named Fred and Betty, after the Flintstones.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back