Allen in NE

Greg K

I guess I'm headed out your way next week to show the boys and my wife some god ole Nebraska scenery. We are thinking of staying the night near Chadron, maybe at Fort Robinson. We (I) would like to stop at toadstool park and maybe the fur trappers museum. Anything else we should stop and see(old tractors)? Long story short we are going out on Hwy 20 and then up to the black hills and back on I90 in SD.

You're gonna like the black hills.....kind of a tourist trap tho; they want ya to bring plenty of cash. :>)

Allan

I went out there in about 92 when I was in High School and really liked it. I really liked the mines and Wind Cave. The boys might be a little young to enjoy it, but they are gonna like it whether they like it or not! lol

I forget where I was, but it was right near Mt Rushmore.. There was this big store that was 2 or 3 floors and the whole walls of the staircase was covered with a gun collection, and the shelf tops on the 1st floor had glass display cases with mounted (?? taxidermist)) rattlesnakes... I was 21 or so and bright eyed gawking like a kid..... I'm sure your boys will enjoy it as much as you do.....

That fur trappers museum is something. The biggest collection of trade guns I have ever seen, plus lots of other stuff. We were there in 2010.

I remember the furr trappers museum as a kid, and walking past all those glass cases of muskets of all different makes and models. I was in heaven, back when I still wanted to be a mountain man. That plan got put on hold until beaver prices go back up!

Probably Rapid City, SD near Ellsworth AFB. If we had enough fuel we would circle Mount Rushmore before landing. Got some great aerial pictures!

(quoted from post at 09:23:16 06/17/12) Probably Rapid City, SD near Ellsworth AFB. If we had enough fuel we would circle Mount Rushmore before landing. Got some great aerial pictures!

This one of em???

8479.jpg

Chadron is a nice town. when i go that way, it's always on my list for places to stay. reasonable room prices and down to earth people!

The Red: Yep, one could flyby fairly close many many decades ago.. I was bringing my brother back from Montana and he wanted pictures so I went past those stone faces about 500 foot out from their noses. Not many people around at about 5:30 am. Kinda hard not flying low and close to the sights like that just to get pictures... My brother had just finished 4 years in USAF so I felt he deserved a "Front row" seat. OK way back then but now everyone seems to be too uptight after 9-11 Trade Tower attack. Too bad we all lost some freedom we need to get back. Out West in open spaces would be good place to restore some freedom of travel..

So Called world larges drug store..Wall drugs along there somewhere. My daughter had told us we had to stop..Mid afternoon went in for what we planned a 20 minute break. Think we wondred around for over two hours.. Lots to see in that part of the country. We came in from the back of Mt Rushmore...think it would be better to go in on the four lane from the front.Some where south of Chadron I made some photos of a OLD truck junk yard but never been abel to get in touch with anyone.

(quoted from post at 07:09:38 06/17/12) I guess I'm headed out your way next week to show the boys and my wife some god ole Nebraska scenery. We are thinking of staying the night near Chadron, maybe at Fort Robinson. We (I) would like to stop at toadstool park and maybe the fur trappers museum. Anything else we should stop and see(old tractors)? Long story short we are going out on Hwy 20 and then up to the black hills and back on I90 in SD.

I was just there a mth ago. On the way to Mt R drive thru bear world.
Also Badlands out by Wall is great to see. Watch out at teh observation places though. Rattlesnake warnings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back