Allis Chalmers B - Upgrade PTO shaft from 1/8 to 3/8

dcwatson84

New User
I'm thinking of upgrading the old 1 1/8 PTO shaft to the standard 1 3/8 PTO shaft size on my old Allis Chalmers B. Is this possible? Someone recommended it in another forum (wont let me post link).
But I can't seem to find a replacement shaft for my B (even with the original shaft size). Am I searching for the wrong part name?

I can't find the part for the AC model C either.

Might be easier to find another pto housing with the 1 3/8" shaft. I did mine years ago that way. Easy to replace.

Yea I have one of those sleeves, but I wanted a more permanent solution, plus I just like to tinker with the thing. I looked a few more places but still havent been able to find a full replacement shaft (not a sleeve).

I don't see in the parts book where they ever made the bigger shaft for the B/C. I think a CA rear housing would work. At least I thought I read of someone doing that once. The sleeve/shaft things work very well. My boy has one on his C and has no problems running PTO stuff that tests the power of the tractor.
AaronSEIA

I have several B tractors and 3 of them have 1-3/8 inch PTO shafts... It appears that was standard equip in the late 1940s ( 1947-48) early 1950s. I don't know the exact year.

Cant argue with what you own, but the parts book I have that was printed in the 60's only shows one shaft number for all B/C tractors. It does not say what size it is.
AaronSEIA

Go to the AGCO Parts Book site and you find the following parts with cam lobes to drive hydraulic pump:
70211416 - 1 1/8" shaft
70224809 - 1 3/8" shaft

Interesting. My Feb 1950 parts book does not show the number for the 1 3/8" shaft I've learned something today.
AaronSEIA

I have a 1948 C with 1 1/8 shaft and use a 1 1/8 to 1 3/8 over running clutch to solve the problem. Not the cheapest way but works for me.
steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back