Almost on topic-soybean planting

Dave from MN

Well-known Member
Can some one tell me how many bushels/or pounds (soybeans) to the acre (approximatly) I will need to be set at for 150,000 population on 14" rows? I also was wondering what the best depth is for soybeans. I know its 1.5-2" for corn, but now sure on beans.
 
Beans per pound varies, but averages around 3000.So that means 50 pounds to the acre

Talk to your seed dealer he can tell you the seeds per pound for each variety.

Plant beans just a touch shallower than corn.

Gary
 
Depends on the size of the beans which can run anywhere from 2200 to 3400 per pound. If 3000 per pound, 50 pounds, 1 sack gets you 150,000 per acre. I use Kinze bean units and they count by the bean accurately.

Some seller of seed beans sell by the count, not the 50 pound sack to make computing easier.

1" or to moisture makes a good depth. You want them to damp dirt so they all come up together, but you don't want 14" row beans too deep or they won't push the crust away.

Gerald J.
 
I plant 150-160,000 in 30" rows which is plenty thick.In 2007 the seed was small and was 4200 seeds per pound.It tells on the sack.Some years there have only been 2800 seeds per pound.Most common is around 3000-3200.

With an 800 IH air planter I only plant 1" deep if theres moisture.
 
Good rule of thumb that we always use for average size beans (2800-3200) is to put one bag per acre for row beans and one and a half per acre for drilled
 
Usually go for about 1' depth, won't hurt anything if you can walk down the planted row and see a bean on top of ground once in a while. they need to be in moisture, BUT if your soil makes a hard crust after a rain, you don't want them very deep or else they will never get out of the ground. ask seed dealer or neighbors what works in your area. Chris
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top