Alternator issues fixed

DWF, so did you charge the battery back up in reverse making the positive post negative and the negative post positive? Or were you saying the first (smart) charger was just connected wrong. I don’t think the alternator diodes would let it be charged backwards. And usually there is some residual charge left in a battery.
I had the new charger hooked up backwards and it wouldn't charge at all, when I got the old charger I saw what was wrong and hooked it up properly and used it to charge the battery. Perhaps the new charger would have worked if it was hooked up right.
DWF

Easy mistake, easy fix! Just yesterday I was replacing an EGR valve. It's on the back of the engine, have to take out an axle and the transfer case to get at it not super tough but a lot of overhead work reaching on one side of the subframe and watching from the other. Anyway, I had the valve and cooler assembly sitting on my bench. Put in the new gaskets and put it back on the car. I had all but 1 of the 5 coolant lines on and the exhaust connected when I went to my bench to get the 3 mounting bolts. Right next to th bolts was the new EGR. I disassembled the unit and put in the new gaskets but put the old EGR back on. In my defense I've only been doing this for a living for 36 years.

Considering I posted about my issue the other day, it's only fair and right that I post the fix. Even if it's an embarrassment to me. Checked and rechecked every wire and connection. Re moved the gauge. Tried a new GM one wire alternator. Still sparking so bad it was like welding. Decided to try a different battery..... Started to unhook battery cables and I had hooked them up backwards..... Good grief, rookie, stupid mistake. Starter didn't care , but once I tried adding an alternator it was an issue. Fixed, running, and charging now............ I'm tough, let the roast begin 🤣😧
Grand pa I have made enough mistakes that this web site server cold not store them all!! Here is what I do (some fault me for it) Positive cable red. even if I have to paint it' Negative is black. I then mark the battery positive post area with red or orange paint. I do this for many reasons it makes it clear what is what. If you have to boost or charge same thing. It was how it was back in the day and in military. I hate this equipment with 4 batteries and all the cables are black. I have seen stuff hooked up wrong and batteries exploded. hope this helps.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back