Alternator issues fixed

grandpa Love

Considering I posted about my issue the other day, it's only fair and right that I post the fix. Even if it's an embarrassment to me. Checked and rechecked every wire and connection. Re moved the gauge. Tried a new GM one wire alternator. Still sparking so bad it was like welding. Decided to try a different battery..... Started to unhook battery cables and I had hooked them up backwards..... Good grief, rookie, stupid mistake. Starter didn't care , but once I tried adding an alternator it was an issue. Fixed, running, and charging now............ I'm tough, let the roast begin 🤣😧

Attachments

• 1000014931.jpg
    1000014931.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 1000014929.jpg
    1000014929.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 128
  • 1000014907.jpg
    1000014907.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Considering I posted about my issue the other day, it's only fair and right that I post the fix. Even if it's an embarrassment to me. Checked and rechecked every wire and connection. Re moved the gauge. Tried a new GM one wire alternator. Still sparking so bad it was like welding. Decided to try a different battery..... Started to unhook battery cables and I had hooked them up backwards..... Good grief, rookie, stupid mistake. Starter didn't care , but once I tried adding an alternator it was an issue. Fixed, running, and charging now............ I'm tough, let the roast begin 🤣😧
Takes a man to admit a mistake. Not just that but admitting it to your children also shows you are human and they learn that lesson and sticks with them for life.

BTDT (Been There Done That) myself, it happens. Sometimes you can get replacement diodes for an alternator, otherwise replace exchange the alternator for a good one. A fuse or fuseable link can save an alternator or at least a wiring harness when that happens.

Anybody that doesn't make a mistake isn't doing anything. It happens. Glad it was a simple fix and you got it going.

SUCCESS!

Now, if that is the most expensive mistake you have made recently you are doing well. I am surprised it didn't ruin the alternator.

I'm about as bad. No spark and in hurry, it's corroded points, grab point file and use it. No start, no spark at plug wire, so clean again. Repeat everything again then see rotor laying on tractor hood. Now it's getting to late and dark to do project after it starts instantly.

Battery was dead in the Ford Escape at the end of the day. I had turned the key on to let a window down and I failed to turn the key off, mistake #1.
It was sittting by the shop, so I got a battery charger and put it on, charger did not want to charge, so I walked to the house and came back an hour later, still no charge. I said to myself, heard sometimes these new chargers don't want to charge a dead battery, so I walked back to the house to get an old 6 amp Montgomery Wards charger that I know would charge a dead battery. Bingo, I had hooked up the charger cables backwards. Big nistake #2. I've been around this stuff for over 60 years and that's one of the dumbest things yet.
DWF

Battery was dead in the Ford Escape at the end of the day. I had turned the key on to let a window down and I failed to turn the key off, mistake #1.
It was sittting by the shop, so I got a battery charger and put it on, charger did not want to charge, so I walked to the house and came back an hour later, still no charge. I said to myself, heard sometimes these new chargers don't want to charge a dead battery, so I walked back to the house to get an old 6 amp Montgomery Wards charger that I know would charge a dead battery. Bingo, I had hooked up the charger cables backwards. Big nistake #2. I've been around this stuff for over 60 years and that's one of the dumbest things yet.
DWF
60 years ago we didn't have all the "smart" things we have nowadays!

DWF
DWF, so did you charge the battery back up in reverse making the positive post negative and the negative post positive? Or were you saying the first (smart) charger was just connected wrong. I don’t think the alternator diodes would let it be charged backwards. And usually there is some residual charge left in a battery.

If you don't get euchred every third time, you are not taking enough chances! GETTER DUN!!!

I admire you for telling us! An old saying, lessons learned the hard way are remembered the longest! I made a silly mistake at work once, my partner said, Think of yourself as an absent-minded professor! That partner is still a good friend.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back