alternitave fuel

I saw an article in Farm Show magazine about 6 mo. ago where a fella had two pickups running on smoke. I was wondering if anyone has any info on this? He said 9000 mi to a cord of wood.Some was explained in this article how he made the system work. A freind of mine has an engine and would like to try this.
 
Heating wood in a sealed container (no air) produces gasses you can burn. It also produces charcoal. Did it in grade school.
 
OK Now when you do that, there was a way to filter the smoke I'm not sure but I think he used a straw filter before it went to carburator and how do you control it?If I can picture it right, there was a burn box,with a tank something like a small water supply tank the smoke went through,I took it to be a supply accumulator, and from there went through a box looking gizmo that I took to be the straw filter
 
Had them out here[Oz] during WW2. gas producers.. feed them charcoal..My Father had one on the front of his Ford.Did have photographs ,lent them to a friend,he put them on the roof of his car, then drove off. Not amused and poorer.
 
I remember a couple of guys pulling what looked like a smoker behind a late 40s or early 50s Cadillac, this was back in the early 70s. they went coast to coast burning smoke, the caddy was self contained and they only stopped at construction sites for scrap lumber. The caddy had running boards that went completely around the car, and they could stoke the fire box while moving. The tail light that raised to uncover the gas filler cap was a drinking fountain. I remember one of the guy getting out of the car and walking back to get a drink, this was done at 60 MPH down the hi-way.

And just think, that old film footage is out there somewhere.
 
Roy, there are several doing that around the US, many in Europe. Good place to start learning is the Yahoo woodgas group.

My interest is stationary engines. Both are represented in the group.

http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=2sCFpCpSTqE
is the first of three parts of a recent run.
Woodgas Group
 
Give it up. Besides looking a spewing like something from Mad Max, it'll ruin your engine. It would make more sense mounting the still on a truck, clean up the under brush from our forests and sell the alcohols, methane and charcoal.
 
I've done it and have a Ford Model AA truck right now that is setup for it. It was done to run trucks and farm tractors after WWII all over the world.

Works best with a long-stroke, low compression gas engine - which makes older cars and tractors perfect.
 
There's supposed to be lots of that in China.
Also, the book "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" about
Dolittles Raiders, tells of Chinese trucks that
burned CAMPHER (fumes?)
 
I saw some of those cars and trucks running on smoke, when i was in France and England, during WW II. They smelled really bad! And smoked tremendously! Couldn't hide them from the Germans!
I think they burned charcoal, but might have been coal, too.
How about the compressed air street cars from back in the past?! They didn't run very far, just 8-10 blocks in the city. And somebody had an air powered auto, too. Used 3 tanks, like the present oxygen cylinders, to run an air motor. The car had some method to heat the air before it was piped into the motor.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top