Another battery-tender question.

I picked up a couple Schumacher battery tenders from Walmart for $19. I have an H that is put in storage in November and I probably won"t see it for 5-6 months. I have a 12 volt conversion, negative ground, Hitachi alternator and I wired up the diode.

First question, do I need to remove the tractor battery cover lid or any reason I can"t connect the charger positive clip to the end of the 00 battery cable where it bolts to the starter and connect the negative charger clip to the bolt where the 00 battery cable ground bolts to the tractor?

Second question, off topic, I have a couple deep cycle batteries that I store in my basement for the winter. I know deep cycle works differently than starter batteries, Is it also best to keep a deep cycle fully charged with a battery tender?

Thanks!

on the H, you can put one end on the battery cable end that bolts to the tractor, but the other cable end needs to be on battery or on the cable that comes from the battery to the starter switch if you still using the original IH style push buttom switch.

My H is still 6 volt positive ground. I connected one lead from the Schumaker to the hot post on the steering post mounted starter button, and the other lead is connected to a bare bolt on the ammeter box. It works.

The second question is yes put the maintainer on them. Once a month for two days is OK also, if you don't want to but more maintainers. The batteries can be paralleled to allow one maintainer to service two or more bats. (not series!!) Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back