Another loader question

KristofMI

You guys have helped me a lot in another thread where I asked about the loader price. New loader showed up for sale in classifieds. Wagner mounted on ford 850. The guy says manual says it will fit 8N. He ask $500 for it. Says some cylinders are leaking. Anyone have any experience on rebuilding them? I saw a post somewhere where they say there is some kind of ring on the cylinder that will lock in place if you extend the piston too far and it's pain in the butt to remove it. So my question is should I pay $500 for it?
mvphoto82453.jpg

A nice ''Step Through'' loader, much better than that earlier one!

I would look carefully at the rams on any leaking cylinders when they are fully extended for any knicks, scratches or any other defects that could tear up the
packing seals. Also lay a yardstick along any suspect ones to check their straightness. If the rams check out, any seal can be replaced and fixed by a rebuilder
(USUALLY!)

IF you buy it (You seem pretty determined to have one...) make sure you get EVERY bolt, pin, and bracket needed to mount it to your tractor. A best scenario would
be to take it off yourself, taking plenty of pictures to show how and where it mounts and how the mounting points fit over or under the tractor castings and sheet
metal.

The seller have it mounted on the tractor so it can be tested before sale and then he will help take it apart and load on the trailer. I'm pretty determined to get one. Since I was looking for one before they will notify me when new one is listed. BTW what can be done with the loaders on 8N ? I don't want to kill the tractor. Would like to use it to haul dirt and crushed rocks.

You can do plenty with a loader- load stuff, pull engines, well pipe, use it as a platform to reach higher, scrape snow, finish grade dirt, push over outhouses and
dead trees, carry firewood or dead livestock, etc., etc...
They are light to medium duty loaders at best, but everyone overloads them! I have forks on my 800 w/ loader and regularly move 800 lbs. loads around and up into
trucks.

You are only limited by the strength of your hydraulics, the integrity of the hoses, the penetration depth of the manufacturing welds, the condition of your front
axle pivot pin and bushing, the rating of your front tires and your ''Armstrong'' steering!

Do they normally have a limit switch (or whatever is called) the one that will bypass fluid so you want be able to lift more then required?

No. You have to rely on common sense. Thats why so many loaders are bent, broken or rewelded with reinforcing plates! The pump capacity will give you an upper
limit as to how much it can lift, but if you keep it under 1/4 ton, you should be fine.

(quoted from post at 09:53:21 09/28/21) The seller have it mounted on the tractor so it can be tested before sale and then he will help take it apart and load on the trailer. I'm pretty determined to get one. Since I was looking for one before they will notify me when new one is listed. BTW what can be done with the loaders on 8N ? I don't want to kill the tractor. Would like to use it to haul dirt and crushed rocks.
On of the first things to wear out on an 8N with a loader is the steering box.
One of the first things to break on an 8N with a loader is the front wheel spindles.

While many folks put a loader on an 8N, or have an 8N with a loader, a great loader tractor they are not.

warbaby lists some things they can be used for.
IMHO some of the worst things they can be used for are "hauling dirt and crushed rock:. It can be done, but slowly, poorly, and with small little lifts of material. An 8N doesn't "dig" into a pile very good.
Again, all IMHO - an owner of a 9N with a loader for the last 35 years, and more than a dozen other tractors, including several "real" loader tractors.

So maybe I should just use it for brush hogging and purchase a tractor made for hauling? How about a 1975 Ford 4110 with loader? There is one locally for good price

(quoted from post at 12:30:01 09/28/21) So maybe I should just use it for brush hogging and purchase a tractor made for hauling? How about a 1975 Ford 4110 with loader? There is one locally for good price
Your call. Get some other advice. For me, any reason for another tractor has been a good reason. But got too many now.

Got to move one pile of dirt? One pile a week? Got to move 23 tons of gravel? One time? Ten times? Every year?

IMHO, these old Fords make GREAT bush hogging machines. Just add some front weight.

Again, get some more advice.

My present 850 has a basic WF3 on it, as did the 8N we had when I was a kid. That one is a variant, has the shorter and higher mounted lift cylinders like the International-Wagner types- I have one of those on a 330U, and the beefier lift arms. An 8N with a step-through is very handy for light work, and easily abused- my 850 cleaned up cow barns, and is pretty tight. That 8N we had spent a few years as a loadout loader for gramps' lime spreading outfit, was checked at the home stockpile with scales at 900 lbs for a heaped bucket of Basic Bulk, so it was always loaded that way as there were no scales where it worked. Always on hard flat ground, so nothing broke, but the front axle ended up with a definite swayback, and was a little rough to steer as a result. After the lime business was sold, it was used to plow snow and load coal, and worked well for that, with bucket extensions welded on. If one kept to 500-600 lbs, they can be pretty durable

A 4110 was a 65-75 three cylinder tractor
with short front spindles. They called it
an LCG (low center of gravity)
Basically a 3000 with a bigger engine.
They used them a lot on golf courses with
gang mowers and highway right of ways.
Still not a loader tractor tho.
I haven't been following your search for a
loader but here's my thoughts on one.
If 50% of your tractor needs involve loader
work then get one.
Loaders make an otherwise nimble little
tractor a real cumbersome dreadnaught.
Long, heavy, hard to steer, takes 40 acres
to turn around, hard to see around,
clanking, prone to getting stuck, oil
dripping things.
A loader on an N is a half fast loader at
best and for everything else - plowing,
mowing, etc, a loader makes that handy
little tractor suck.

Funny story. I received a phone call from my friend who is getting divorced. She wants to get rid off his old tractor he restored. It is a Ford 1600 with loader. I might go check it out in couple of days.

This post was edited by KristofMI on 10/01/2021 at 04:57 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back