Any body know about Valconizing

old

Well-known Member
Years ago at an auction I got some stuff for valconizing tires/tubes but have never played with it. I say years ago as in about 30. I have them sitting in a shed in a box and got to thinking that if I could pull the stuff out maybe I could repair some tires I have. But now the question. Where do you get the stuff to use with the tools and how do you do it etc. etc??
Thanks
Hobby farm
 
Check with Joe's Tire Shop in Springfield, Mo. I had a tire with about a 2 inch hole in it fixed there, looked like a new tire when they got done with it.
 
It used to be that when you patched a tube you used a liquid robber cement and something called a hot patch. You then put the patch on the tube and used a heater( Vulcanizer) to set up the glue. This comes from when tires are made they are vulcanized (Heatred to a specified temperature to cure the rubber. Nowadays cold patches are the remedy for tubes. Also you could patch a hole in the tire itself with a vulcanized patch. Now, I may have lost a little bit in the last few years but I believe thats a pretty accurate descriptiom, right Lowell? Henry
 
Hot vulcanizing involves heating rubber and adding sulfur don't know about getting any supplies for that but the cold vulcanizing supplies are readily available check out ESTI warehouse great supplier.
 
Thats what I was talking about. check with a truck tire repair place. I bet they have some of the old stuff aroun if its been there for 50 years. Henry
 
I have used those old hot patches they worked real good had a clamp that you clamped it to the tube then lit the stuff in the can and Viola you had it patched. they worked better than cold patches of 40 years ago.
Now I take them to Les Schwab and they patch them for free including demounting and mounting and balancing if necessary. Can't beat that with stick.
Walt
 
Hey, Old: Those little oval shaped patches came in a flat, oval shaped, tin holder, if thats the kind you have. The process went like this:
First: Rough up the inner tube where the hole is. Use a rough file, coarse sand-paper, or a sharp file. Clean tube with lacquer thinner where the roughed up place is, and allow to dry. If the kit you got came with rubber cement,(some didn't) use some over the hole area and out past the edges of the tin part.Hang the tube on the part that has the curved plate, and under the screw-down clamp. Insert the tin piece center it over the hole, with the patch on it, and screw down the clamp tightly. There should be indents where the legs of the clamp go.
When all is ready, light the material in the upper part of the tin part with a match, and allow it to burn out. This vulcanizes the patch to the tube! Remove the clamp, the tin part, allow to cool and yer inner tube is patched!
As for tires, they used to sell a reddish colored piece that looked like the inside of a tire. It usually had glue on one side, covered by a piece of cellophane. You would clean the inside of the tire with laquer thinner, or something suitable. Peel off the cellophane and carefully isert the patch inside the tire over the damaged area. Allow to dry, and put it back together. You could also buy an inner liner that covered the whole inside of the tire. There were tire shops that would vulcanize, with heat, a patch into a tire, or repair it some other way, but not all repairs lasted very long. I don't know how things are now-been out of that business for many years.
Remember--those fixes i described were back in the days of inner tubes! We had no ideas about tubeless tires back then. Except bicycle tires.
 
The set up I have has electric units for heat. Also a couple clamps to hold things in place. I have used to old light them up type valconnizeing patches before just not the ones that had a electric unit the supply the heat
 
It sounds like you have a tire vulcanizing step up. In order to make it work you would need uncured rubber and then regular cold tire boots and glue. The first step is to round out the hole to get all the damaged material out. How big? Need the charts to tell you. Then you fill the hole with the uncured rubber and clamp the unit around the hole. Plug it in and cook the rubber under pressure.How long? Need the charts to tell you. After the rubber is cooked then you buff the outside and inside and put on a boot to add strength. How big a boot? You need the charts to tell you. Oh and the uncured rubber has a fairly short shelf life so if you aren't doing a job every few days you would need to get it for every tire you are doing. And that is the the highlights of how to do it. I think you may possibly be in over your head here. I go there frequently.

As for where to get the supplies? A recap shop may be able to help.
 
Look up Myers Tire Supply on the internet...they are one of the largest wholesale suppliers of this type of stuff....they also sell removal tools, lifts, tire changing equipment and some really unusual rim straightening tools as well.
Also Mohawk Rubber Supplies- another national supplier that I am sure has a web site.

In the Michelin museum I once saw a Michelin sidewall repair where a boot was made from sidewall section ofanother old tire BOLTED with pan head bolts (heads inside)to the aflicted area and chamfered apparently with a machete blade to prevent chafing the tube. It was in service and had been for years when a Michelin rep found it- on a school bus. Tires, and ingenuity, are pretty amazing things...
 
Don't ask me how I know this, but vulcan is the roman name for the greek god haephestus, god of fire. Aint you glad we use the roman translation of the greek? Its a lot easier to vulcanize, than to haephestusize a tube!
 
Are you talking about patching the tubes or putting a section in a tire? I have some information about putting the sections in tires.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top