Any Ford 5610 Owners Out There?

Texasmark

Looking at a 1983 Series I, 2wd with cab and after market loader. Don't need the loader and will probably take it off. Haven't seen it yet. Just started talking to the owner. Curious as to what to expect in the way of problems. The engine is like my other Fords, just one more cylinder, same dimensions as my 3 cyls....should be pretty much bullet proof. Tranny is conventional 8 speed dual range which is bullet proof, like my smaller Fords. Thinking about it for my baler and maybe some plowing. AC is said to work, heater doesn't but don't need a heater for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Mark

(quoted from post at 02:24:31 11/04/23) Looking at a 1983 Series I, 2wd with cab and after market loader. Don't need the loader and will probably take it off. Haven't seen it yet. Just started talking to the owner. Curious as to what to expect in the way of problems. The engine is like my other Fords, just one more cylinder, same dimensions as my 3 cyls....should be pretty much bullet proof. Tranny is conventional 8 speed dual range which is bullet proof, like my smaller Fords. Thinking about it for my baler and maybe some plowing. AC is said to work, heater doesn't but don't need a heater for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Mark

Cavitation erosion.

Those Ford engines were uniblocks (or whatever you call it) without sleeves aren't they? I thought cavitation was primarily a problem
with sleeved engines. I assume you were speaking from experience. Would you share type of coolant use, age of the tractor, hours
on the proofmeter?
Thanks

Trust me, cavitation erosion is every bit as much of a problem with a parent bore engine (your 5610) as it is with a sleeved engine. That said, it seems to afflict turboed engines more so than naturally aspirated versions. I can only assume that this is because of the increased vibration of a turboed engine because it works harder, and vibrations are what cause cavitation erosion in the first place.

I can also say with great confidence that the era of the 1980s is when Ford suffered from this malady the most. I can only assume that it had something to do with the quality of the iron used at the time.

I'm pretty sure they came from the factory unsleeved, but sleeves were available for rebuilds. The 4 cylinders were more prone to cavitation than the 3 cylinders. Later they redesigned the casting to include the raised diagonal ribs on the outside of the block which helped dampen the vibrations that contributed to the cavitation. From my understanding, the cavitation happens on unsleeved engines as well as ones that were sleeved during a rebuild if you do not use the proper anti-cavitation coolant additive.

Biggest weak spot on those early ones, other than the potential for cavitation, is the power steering. A 1983 model would be about 2 years shy of full hydrostatic, which is superior in design and operation.

Taking the loader off will help with longevity of the current system. Look for leaks on the steering box and sloppiness at the ball joints and main pivot pin under the radiator, the latter of which usually does not get greased.

Otherwise, you basically have a more modern version of the 5000, which is pretty much a bullet-proof tractor.

I had a 4600 or 4610 I don't remember that had the single arm steering. As I mentioned some time in the past, herein, I had the steering box fail and I had never worked on one and made a mess of it requiring me to replace it..a $2k error on my part. As you answered, I got my 3600 steering leak fixed and yes it is a different system, much easier for me.

You-alls comments gave me food for thought and I think I will pass on this potential purchase. I do appreciate your responses.

I used to use JD radiator treatment for corrosion control and found that the local JD dealer quit stocking it. There is an International (Navistar I think is their current name)OTR truck dealer/facility within reach that has great prices on batteries (by them by the skid....size 31) and they stock a pre treated antifreeze at a great price. So that is what I have been using even though I don't currently have a sleeved tractor.......a just incase kind of precaution.

Thans again for the assistance.

I agree with Bern on the power steering. I have broken two of the front bolster pivots, but it was from abuse, driving over logs and rocks clearing land. And I have seen 3 blown steering boxes, all with loaders. But it would seem to me that cavitation was much worse on the six cylinder engines and less so in the 4 cylinder fords??? ( am I dreaming here or maybe I see more six cyls with lots more hours on them?) That said, any diesel can cavitate if run long enough, and with the antifreeze not kept maintained. IDI diesels could/would cavitate around 250,000 miles in a few cases that I have seen. Anyway, ALWAYS check the radiator for bubbles when the engine is running, and check the oil for whitish or light brown chocolate milk shake color due to cavitation. I do the auction circuits so I see mostly the worst of the worst. But after careful inspection, I would not hesitate to buy a 5610 w loader. We have one on the farm down in Floresville.

I would agree that cavitation afflicted six-cylinder engines more so than with the four bangers. I can only surmise that it's because it has 50% more cylinders in it creating more overall vibration. But that's purely a WAG on my part.

4600 and 4610 have single arm steering unless they are SU models which have the same front axle and steering as your 3600
As Bern said the 5710 is a modern version of the bullet proof 5000 but it does have a different steering column that I m told is more difficult to repair
Since you mentioned cab tractor and baling hay I suggest you consider the 6610 model as well
5610 and 6610 are the same chassis with 6610 having more torque from its larger 268 engine

In 15 years of owning a 6610 series II used primarily for baling hay keeping the radiator blown out to prevent overheating needs to be done regularly
Repairs done since purchase adding 3000 hrs and over 15000 bales rolled
Bushings in the side shifters
Seal kit in the hydrostatic steering cylinder
O-rings in the remote couplings
Alternator
At the end of last season the throw out bearing was making noise so this spring we split the tractor and replace the clutch and bearing. While it was apart I replaced the seal in the bottom of the orbital motor as it was weeping a small amount of oil

This does not include wear items such as fan belts, new tires and replacing the seat

mvphoto111314.jpg

(quoted from post at 10:28:21 11/05/23) I would agree that cavitation afflicted six-cylinder engines more so than with the four bangers. I can only surmise that it's because it has 50% more cylinders in it creating more overall vibration. But that's purely a WAG on my part.

I think your dead on. Sound (sonic)waves can and do add and subtract from each other based on space and timing. So there ends up being locations in the block where sound waves from multiple locations arrive at that spot, and at the same time, and in phase, so they add up to greater power. More cyls, more material, more explosions end up created more perfect spots. Gotta wonder what a straight 8 cyl, or 12 cyl would do?? or would the "distance" start to diminish the power so its no longer additive?? Thanks as always for your contributions.

Thanks for your replies. I thought long and hard and decided that I could put up with having to couple the PTO shaft using my current tractor rather than fool with another potential problem child. I already bought a 3600 and a Case-IH 395 earlier this year and that's enough for one year. Both are good solid tractors but still needed this and that to put them at 100% to suit me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back