Anyone had a diesel to crank up and run wide open

chuckinnc

I inherited a tractor from my brothers estate, it had been setting for several years. After jumping it off, it ran wide open, the
fuel knob was pulled with no effect, nothing would stop it, finally had to go find a pair of vice grips and turn the fuel off. The
tractor is a Tafe 25di, some say its a Massey Ferguson cone, all I know is no one will touch it. Has anyone ever had this problem
with a diesel and how were you able to fix it?

My dad had a 4600 Ford do that....we were able to keep the revs down to about 2000 rpm by pulling the shut off out in order to load it on a truck.....it was still under warranty. Something had fell apart in the pump.
Ben

If I recall engine has a Bosch inline pump. If just one plunger sticks on any inline the rack can't move to turn the fuel off when stuck in the run position. I did repair one last summer, that pump needed a new rack and plunger gear segments due to rust damage inside, that model pump is oiled separately from the engine.

This is not uncommon with some pumps. Rust from condensation inside the pump while sitting can cause governor parts to hang up. Post what make and model the pump is and you could get a fix.

That is a very common problem with diesels. That have not been used in a few years. Very common on standby generators. Rust or sludge builds up and jams the rack. Best way I found to fix it was pull the pump to be cleaned and fixed. Dieseltech would be the one to talk to.

Unfortunately I am getting more and more calls from guys with the exact story as yours. Tractor has sat for a while, six months, maybe six years. Now it either wont deliver fuel to the nozzles or it ran away. I get the most calls from states where biodiesel is blended by law. 30-40% of all the pumps that hit my bench are victims. This is a relatively new problem when you consider that most of the older diesel tractors are 60+ years old. Guys who wrenched on tractors all their life but retired 10-15 years ago almost never saw this problem. This is why the guys on here that repair pumps for a living try to worn everyone just how real this deal is. You are lucky pistons didn't start changing holes on you. I have seen a few come apart from the high RPMS. Pull that pump off and get her looked at. I have a few old parts pumps here if you need help getting it back up and running, (controlled and slower). Al

Thanks AL, it was made in India and has a Simpsons 217 engine, as I said no one around here will touch it. I will probably attempt to fix it or will have to junk it.

If AL says he has parts for one. I would contact him. That will most likely be the only way to get it fixed. Most shops don't have the time to waste looking for parts. I had to scrap a 30 KW Chines generator. After two years of waiting for parts and looking for parts. I gave up.

A common recommendation of ACMOC is to take the air filter off and have a board or something ready to shut off the air flow in case it runs away when starting an old engine that has not started in many years

I have an Isuzu with a Bosch style pump that did that. I was able to take the side cover off and spray it down with penetrating oil. Then I took a oak block and started lightly tapping on it. Read it on the internet somewhere and it worked. It probably wasnt stuck very bad. It's been sitting again. Sure hope it's not stuck again. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back