Anyone have problems with import tractor rear tubes?

andy r

I don't even know if you can buy a good thick Goodyear or Firestone rear tractor tire tube anymore. You probably can, but it seems like everyone has the imports possibly with the name Rubber Master printed on them. I put a new tube (Rubber Master) in a 15.5 - 38 tire two weeks ago and have taken it back apart twice to find small breaks in a seam twice. The second time I had just put a patch on a break in the tube. Later that after noon I was working near by the tractor when out of the blue the tire just started hissing and was flat in minutes. It was another break not related to the patch I had just put on. Both breaks were on the back side where a tire iron never would have been. The rim is smooth as well as the tire bead. I have done many rear tractor tires with no problems. Just checking to see if this is a problem anyone else has had. Thanks.

yes chinese tubes are thinner the rubber is half the thickness of firestone or goodyear tubes, how do i know? cause i measured them. put new tires and chinese tubes in my 560 and soon as i went on the field to work i heard the tire hissing. came to the yard and installed the original original firestone tube in it. got warranty on the tube and its on the shelf now. not putting that back in. even the tire guy said he dont advise using fluid in them tubes and lucky i didnt. and it was that same size 15.5 x 38.

Yes rubber Master 18.4 38 tube in tire 2 months tractor never left the yard, valve stem came off the tube. 9.5 15 held air for one week then the seam split about 1/4 inch.

My issue has been valve stems tearing off. In the case of my tractor, I changed both rear tires for new tires and tubes. And one side has now had 3 tubes, and the other side two. Even though the tires say they are the same size as the tires that came off. I think either they are a hair bigger, or maybe not as hard, and the tires must spin under heavy load, ripping off the valve stems

Last year, needed a couple tubes, Firestone had 2 different 15.5x38 tubes.

1 made in the USA, 1 imported.

The USA made tube was 3.3 pounds heavier than the import, guessing thicker rubber. But cost $20 more.

Not wanting to do it again, I paid the extra $20.
cvphoto135474.jpg

It is a tough call these days. The tires get prous and leak through the sides in a few years so they need a tube and the tubes today are not any good either. I don't know how many of both I have had to work on both rear tires and smaller wagon and car tires. Dad takes every free tire offered and some so old the rubber on the edge of the bead chips off as you run your hand around it cleaning them up to put on a wheel/rim. Some O will not even consider mounting for him. Tubes have been splitting at the seems on the smaller ones and just go to leaking on rear tractor tubes at no specific place just leak.

Wow.

Just looked up the tubes I bought from the place I bought them.

Ordered them Sept 5th last year, paid $75/tube if you bought 2

Now $122/tube if you buy 2.

Just replaced both rear tubes on my utility tractor - 14.9x24. One went completely flat and the other was weeping from the valve. They were put on the same time, probably 25 years ago, when I replaced the tires. The tire guy put on Michelin tubes $100 each. I don't think I will have to replace these, given my age - the next guy will.

Tim

My local 4th generation has a tire for any vehicle tire shop uses Korean tubes. I buy my tubes from him as they last.

Old car, tractor, bicycle, lawn mower: everyone is complaining tubes arent as good as they used to be.
Best advice I have is find a reputable tire dealer who knows what they are doing and who sells ag tires; they should have figured out by now what is good and what is worthless.
All the American tire manufacturers sold their ag tire business to one company and they sell under the name Alliance. They should/might be good stuff.

bruce if you are spinning out your tire from the rim, why not screw the tire to the rim like drag cars do with racing slicks. here is a link to a set from moroso.
poke here

I got away from the thin standard tubes years ago
I only use the thicker radial tubes, pricy but well worth the price to not have tube failures

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back