ATF engine treatment

rd99

Member
I put automatic transmission fluid in my 2N via the spark plug holes to help it. I let it sit, turned the engine over, and put more in and let it sit more.

I turned the engine over a number of times to clear it out.

then started it up and it seems to run better though it's smoking like crazy.

How long does it take for it to stop being some sort of James Bond smoke screen machine?
 
at the risk of sounding like a smart a$$, it will quit when it's all burned up!
but can I ask as to why you did this ?? problem of some sort?
 
How long does it take for it to stop being some sort of James Bond smoke screen machine?

I did the same (used MMO though) to insure everyting was loose qfter the tractor had been sitting for 20 years. It had just been rebuilt when stored in clean dry gagage. Turning over w/o sparkplugs using hand crank it became noticably easier to turn after the first revolution. Must assume this added a little lubrication too.

Sat for 3 weeks with MMO in the cylinders. Started right up first time I tried. Let it sit and run about half throtle and the smoke cleared after 15-20 minutes (longer than I expected).

Runs like a champ now, and no smoke.
 
On some it will stop in less then 5 minutes but on others it takes a few hours just depends on how bad thing are in that engine and how long it sat. If the ring where/are stuck it takes a few hours if the cylinders have some rust even more. And on some they never stop smokeing because they are just plain in need of a rebuild and ATF will not help bad rings
Hobby farm
 
Thanks for the replies.

Before doing the ATF treatment it barely smoked, and would run for hours but had an occasional miss, but it wouldn't start without starter fluid for the first time in the morning.

Now it starts without the use of starter fluid and it doesn't have the miss, but it's smoking a lot, large clouds after about 10 seconds.

Right now it's making a pretty good mosquito fogger.

It's only running for about 30 seconds at a time (haven't timed it exactly). I think the air intake is sucking in the smoke fumes and once they reach a level where there's no more oxygen to combust it dies.

I've got it under a shed but the wind was blowing it back to the tractor engine today. I guess I could try driving it around, but it was so smokey I thought I might be creating a road hazard as the dense cloud drifted through the fence onto the road.

I haven't had it running for more than probably 4 minutes total so far since the smoke cloud was so crazy.

I'll keep at it, I just wasn't sure what the burn off times were like, now I know it's got a bit to go yet.
 
It cleared up after about 10 minutes of running. No smoke is visible now.

It runs a lot smoother, though it sounds like it misses on one cylinder but the miss is like every 20 seconds or so instead of much more frequent before.

I'll start looking into it soon.

Thanks for the help.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top