ATV/lawn mower hydraulic lift

David from Kansas

Looking to buy one of these so I can quit lying under the mower deck to remove the blades while it is jacked up by my unstable floor jack. What do you guys use? I have seen some on that bay site starting at about $135. Some are rated at 500 lb and some at 1500 lb. Thanks for any and all advice you can offer.

I have a couple car ramps that I drive it up on or if outside I use one or both of the trailer ramps.

I use a Mojack EZ Max lift that I bought at Family Farm and Home. It takes a while to set up, but easily lifts the front of my 1100 lb ZTR. Broken down, it doesn't take a lot of room to store. You can remove the jack handle and operate it with an impact driver, but I've never bothered to do that.

Mojack EZ Max

I asked much the same question here some time ago . General consensus was to use something lift the front so the mower rested on its rear wheels .
I use the chain block in my barn now , only thing I did to the mower was to fit a D shackle for the lifting hook had a secure safe lift point . It makes blade maintenance and cleaning so easy .

I have one of these. It's nice for most mowers, but can still a pain to get to the center blade on some mowers. Such as a Scag that has the long bolt and nut, it's difficult to reach around everything to get the nut on top started while trying to hold the blade and bolt from underneath.
Screenshot_20240507-062904.png

I have one of these. It's nice for most mowers, but can still a pain to get to the center blade on some mowers. Such as a Scag that has the long bolt and nut, it's difficult to reach around everything to get the nut on top started while trying to hold the blade and bolt from underneath.View attachment 70063
I have one like the picture above I got from Harbor Freight on sale. Seems the work ok. I had to change hydraulic jack after a while on mine but just used cheap jack. Car ramps always seemed to get in the way and tractor loader is a bit overkill.

I asked much the same question here some time ago . General consensus was to use something lift the front so the mower rested on its rear wheels .
I use the chain block in my barn now , only thing I did to the mower was to fit a D shackle for the lifting hook had a secure safe lift point . It makes blade maintenance and cleaning so easy .

I do this also, except the hoist is hanging in a tree with a five gallon bucket over the hoist for protection from the rain.
Can set the mower on its back side if so desired.
And the entire underside is exposed with no ground based lifting device in the way.

Looking to buy one of these so I can quit lying under the mower deck to remove the blades while it is jacked up by my unstable floor jack. What do you guys use? I have seen some on that bay site starting at about $135. Some are rated at 500 lb and some at 1500 lb. Thanks for any and all advice you can offer.
I use wood blocks under the front wheels. You can make up the height you want with 2x4's too. I then put the brake on, and chuck the rear wheels. You can also use cinder blocks.
The wood under the tires is out of my way, much safer then jacks, cheaper too!

Guido.

I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts I bought about eight years ago. Only cost about $70 back then. Only problem lifting my Gravely ZT is just before max lift the very back of the mower is touching the floor. Does not do that with tractor style mower.

I lift the hood off my mowers. Bolt a chain to the frame and lift the front end up with the loader.
I made a special chair with 6 inch legs to sit on and use an impact to remove blades.
A tenant threw away 2 metal chairs. The legs were metal tubes I cut down.
I have a chair in each pole barn. Very handy.
Use a loader to lift your mowers.

I have a 1/4 on chain hoist I hung from the truss in the middle of the 13-foot sliders and use a lift strap on the front axle for changing blades. 48" Husqvarna. Easier than pulling the deck out and I can sit down to do it.

I bought a HF 500# (capacity) hydraulically (foot) operated roll around table that can be used to jack up a small lawn mower for better access rather than getting down on the floor on your knees or on a creeper if you need to do that. The reason I really bought it was to remove the AC unit from my front room window when its time to clean it out.

Just so happens a couple of days ago I cleaned the AC unit (weighs about 120#) and working alone as is the case always, it was a pleasure to push it up against the wall, jack it up to the proper height, slide the AC out and onto it, roll it outside, do the hygiene thing with it sitting on the table, and return it. Much better than previous years.

On doing things like cleaning out from under lawn mowers or sharpening the blades, I use my 25 hp tractor with FEL for that job. The thing about that hoist type is that I can roll the mower to any location for the function which keeps me from making one big mess in one spot like was the case before I adopted this method when washing out mower decks in the spring.

Last edited:
I have one of these. It's nice for most mowers, but can still a pain to get to the center blade on some mowers. Such as a Scag that has the long bolt and nut, it's difficult to reach around everything to get the nut on top started while trying to hold the blade and bolt from underneath.View attachment 70063
I have one of those too and I find it a PIA to get out of the corner, assemble it, and go through the screwing process to lift a mower. I know you can use a drill motor but I never attempted to find something that was stout enough, being portable, and have the capacity to turn the screw.

Update on my reply yesterday: I just realized today that your picture is of a hydraulic operated unit. I missed that point when I commented on my screw drive unit. That would be much easier to raise and all you have to do is have a place for it as pictured or go through the assembly/disassembly routine when using.

Last edited:
I have one of those too and I find it a PIA to get out of the corner, assemble it, and go through the screwing process to lift a mower. I know you can use a drill motor but I never attempted to find something that was stout enough, being portable, and have the capacity to turn the screw.
The one I have is foot pedal hydraulic lift

I use wood blocks under the front wheels. You can make up the height you want with 2x4's too. I then put the brake on, and chuck the rear wheels. You can also use cinder blocks.
The wood under the tires is out of my way, much safer then jacks, cheaper too!

Guido.
What you have works just fine, except you have to have a plan to get up off the floor when done removing the blades.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back