1070 case Strange 3 pt hitch problem

pathfinder

New User
1971 Agri-King? Strange difficulty with 3 Pt hitch. SN# 8689----
Recent history background:
1. The sense lever had not been used for months, perhaps years.
2. The tractor?s principal use is moving 1200 lb. round bales for livestock (3 prong bale fork on Eagle-Hitch)
3. The tractor appeared to have been borrowed sometime and returned while we away. (Several items including seat, key, log-chain, starting fluid, gloves, etc. had been re-arraigned in cab) Such use is acceptable practice, when special situation occurs.
4. Also, I noticed the DOM Sense lever seemed positioned differently. ??? (It may or may not have been moved)
5. Oddly, one of the remote levers was in the raised position; The selected pressurize hose had developed a slow leak. (The hose was old, so was perhaps subject to failure soon anyway, if used.)
NOTE: The leak was not immediately detected. See following:
6. Initially, the tractor hesitated to raise a bale; a gentle throttle increase and the bale was lifted.
However, after lowering the bale, it could not be lifted again.
7. After re-parking the tractor, the empty lift would only raise about 3 to 6 inches. At this point, the following was observed:
? The hydraulic was low on oil. (8 gal of oil was added)
? The DOM Sense lever was ? the way to the rear.
? The sense lever could not be moved.
? The hitch quit raising any amount when the lever was operated.
? The floor and seat were removed revealing that the lift cable was broken. (It certainly could not have been earlier, when moving the bale! And it had to be intact when, unencumbered, the lift would raise 3 or so inches )
? Next, the clevis pins to the 2 arms operating the input shafts were removed.
? Neither shaft could be operated by hand pressure. This does not look good.
? The local Case IH dealer has no-one, who is familiar with a tractor this old.
? It appears to me, that to gain access for opening the top of the hydraulic unit that the fuel tank will need to be removed. ????
? My concern: Is 1971 tractor worth risking the hidden expense of digging into ?Why both of those shafts turn o hard?? BTW: The sense shaft is supposed to return to the home position via a SPRING! NO WAY!

I hope someone out there can shed some light on what is likely the cause.
During the winter month, many newer tractors in our area fail to start. Yet, the old 1070 sits outside, But never fails to wake up early each morning.

Thanks,
Pathfinder

Pathfinder, you may wan to post this down on the Case forum. It will be more likely to be seen by one of our world famous, top notch, highly compensated, genius staff Case experts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back