Avery model V tractor

1951G

I have just acquired an Avery model V tractor and haven't gotten a manual yet, but can anyone tell me if the gearshift is
homemade versus what came on the tractor? The reason I ask is because it only shifts fore and aft but not sideways and
gearshift pattern shows otherwise. Please see pictures below.

Thanks for any help on this.
cvphoto28312.jpg

cvphoto28313.jpg

Tthats the factory shifter- just a length of strap steel with a rounded off top. Avery bought their transmissions from Clark gear. Heres one I cut 2 feet out of the center and replaced the ZXB 4 cylinder engine with a BXB 2 cylinder, shortening the engine bay another 4 inches. It needed wheelie bars!

cvphoto28331.jpg

Have no idea how old or how much experience you have but I expect when (if) you get it running you will find you have 4 gears in there. Just a matter of learning how to shift it.

That is the correct shifter. Mine is a later year and it is not twisted near the top, just a flat bar coming out of the case. The lower end of the bar selects which 'rail' by rocking the bar left or right. I put 'rail' in italics because its flat just like the shifter. Its been about 24 years since I worked on one.

It might be a good idea to remove that plate on the side below the shift lever. One of the repairs on ours involved repairing the detent spring and ball on the lower 'rail'. And yours may have some rust damage inside too.

I am also thinking that there was a Minneapolis Moline I&T manual that tells a lot about that tractor. MM bought Avery in 1951 and sold Vs for a year or so.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back