Help Identify Tractor model - I have steering problem

RTR

Hey guys I'm a Farmall tractor guy that has gotten a small ford. I know nothing about these little tractors and I'm looking for someone to help me out identifying which model it is. I have attached some pictures so you can see what I've got. I also have a picture of all the serial numbers and other numbers.

The reason for needing to know the model is because I have a problem with the steering and need to get some parts or ask how to fix if there is a way to adjust or easily fix the steering. The steering box has 1/2 round of play in it at the steering wheel.

Much help with this is greatly appreciated
a167989.jpg

a167990.jpg

a167991.jpg

a167992.jpg

I suspect if you do find the part numbers for what you need, they will be obsolete or so expensive you'll walk away. Could be wrong, never tried to buy them.

What I have done on compact tractors, garden tractors, take a close look at what is worn, do what you have to do to make it work. Might have to fab some parts, do some welding, replace some bushings.

I believe you have an early model Ford 1000 your tag shows A?012T and the early 1000's were the only model that had a "0" in the third place of the model

A10XXX 1000 All purpose 1973 -

you will find parts almost non-existent for these very early Shibaura built Fords

I don't know where your located at but I have a Shibura made Ford tractor and my local tractor dealer says he can get any part I need for it, my dealer was once a Ford dealer and later a New Holland dealer, now he has the LS tractor brand , was about 2 weeks ago that we were talking about my 1700 Ford/Shibura when he told me he could get parts when needed....

You need to check out the steering assembly,see if it can be adjusted,shimmed,tightened up etc,could be a bearing going bad no way to tell until you delve into it some.If you can't find new parts there are lots of Tractor Salvage yards across the country odds are there is one out there somewhere.

(quoted from post at 06:33:26 08/05/17) I don't know where your located at but I have a Shibura made Ford tractor and my local tractor dealer says he can get any part I need for it, my dealer was once a Ford dealer and later a New Holland dealer, now he has the LS tractor brand , was about 2 weeks ago that we were talking about my 1700 Ford/Shibura when he told me he could get parts when needed....

I am just outside of Birmingham, Alabama.

(quoted from post at 07:01:35 08/05/17) You need to check out the steering assembly,see if it can be adjusted,shimmed,tightened up etc,could be a bearing going bad no way to tell until you delve into it some.If you can't find new parts there are lots of Tractor Salvage yards across the country odds are there is one out there somewhere.

Yeah that's the thing.....not sure why I would do to the steering box to tighten it up, other than get a rebuild kit or install a better one. Not familiar with that setup to know where the play would be or the trick to fixing it. The slack is in the box that's under the dash. 1/2 round of play at the wheel before the drag links catch.

years ago a friend picked one of those up pretty cheap. It needed a steering box. He looked for years and never did find one. He finally scrapped it.

(quoted from post at 23:38:45 08/05/17) Does it run?

It ran and operated perfect 2 years ago when my uncle bought it. He literally took it off the trailer and parked it next to his tractor shed under some pine trees (no room in shed) and thought it would be fine since it had a rain cap and that it was a diesel. He hasn't messed with it since because he knew the steering needing fixing and he hadn't found a box for it. We got it out today and found that the oil bath air cleaner had water in it all the way to the top. Ugghhhhh.....upon inspection the original cap was fitting inside the air cleaner housing and water must have ran in. It was also full of water where the breather hose connected to the top of the engine. I blew all or most of the water out of there and put a charger on the (bad) battery. I touched the starter (new 2 years ago when he bought it) and all it did was hum and didn't stop humming. I was able to tighten the steering up a bit after reading the service manual I bought, but it still has some slack. It makes me sick knowing this happened when this was a good little tractor. If we only thought we could have thrown a piece of tin over it. I want to remove the valve cover and check it out further.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back