B275 clutch problems

whippee

New User
Hello everyone, I can not engage gears while depressing my clutch pedal. There seems to a lot of play. Could someone please help me out with some advice? How do I adjust the pedal? Is there an inspection port on the bell housing to see the functioning of the internals , eg. Throw out bearing? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have learned a lot on this forum, so thanks to everyone.
just an update. I have tried to adjust the clutch pedal but this didnt change anything, I have removed the cover on the underside of tractor and found to be a fair bit of rust in there. when the clutch pedal is depressed, it appears as though the throw out bearing is working, but the pressure plate fingers not seems to be "returning" back after being depressed. I just seems as though pressing the clutch pedal in doesnt seem to be doing anything with the clutch. We drove this tractor yesterday but it "ground" more than normally to get it into gear. parked it for a couple of hours then tried to drive it again and it was stuck engaged. once you jam it into gear the tractor moves and the only way to stop it is to shift it to neutral while moving or shutting the engine off

This post was edited by whippee on 03/14/2022 at 05:29 pm.

Hi, the B275 should have a two stage clutch, one for transmission, one for PTO, depressing clutch halfway to the foot rest should stop transmission shaft, all the way to foot rest should stop both transmission
and PTO. Did you check all the fingers through the inspection plate to make sure none of the finger pivot pins have come out?
You said it was rusty in the clutch housing, this could indicate clutch has rusted to the pressure plate or the PTO and transmission shafts have rusted together.

Use the [Send Email] box in the bottom right of my Reply and I will email you the Clutch adjustment procedures.

I will ad to the info by saying don't jam it into gear. If you need to move it before more repairs, drag it to another place. Starting it in gear may be possible, but be careful. Jim

Hello, thanks for the reply. i have been out there trying to "free" it up. Seems as though the throw bearing is no hardly reaching the pressure plate fingers. There is little to no resistance when depressing the clutch pedal. Ill put a pic in the forum. Can you please send me instructions on clutch adjustment as mentioned? thanks so much[/img]
mvphoto89290.jpg

This post was edited by whippee on 03/14/2022 at 06:47 pm.

Give a little more information about what lead up to
this problem. You say you drove it the day before and it
ground into gear. Have you had this tractor a while and
prior to this it was fine? What would happen if the
pressure plate was sticking in the position it moves
when you push the clutch that would cause it to slip or
not even engage. I think what may be happening is the
facing or lining is coming off the clutch disc. Then
when you released the clutch it kind of doubled up or
the loose pieces got between the lining still attached
and the metal drive surfaces. Click on the link and
open the photos there. The one on the left shows the
linings starting to break up and pieces are coming
loose. That is just an example to show the cause of
your possible problem. If you email me I will send you a
link for a repair manual for your tractor. It is a scanned
copy and some of the photos and diagrams are dark
but way better than nothing. If you want to repair your
tractor, in my opinion you better prepare yourself for
the fact that it needs to be split to access the clutch
and repair it.
Link to example clutch plate

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This tractor is used as a boat launcher in the sea. We previously didnt have any problems getting it into gear. We came over the other day to do some fishing. Attempted to start the tractor, no good. The gear from the starter was not throwing out to engage the flywheel. We removed the starter, lubed that and tractor started without a problem. We put it in gear to hook the boat on. It seems to grind more than usual. Did go into gear. We used the tractor for the next two days and although it seemed to grind more to get to gear. It drove as required. Last night, approximately three hours after coming home from fishing, we could not get it in gear. The petal was sloppy, no tension at all. Today removed the inspection cover and there was some water that drained out. The throw out bearing is hardly meeting the pressure plate figures when depressed, hence the grinding. I have tried freeing up the fingers, span the clutch plate ect but no success. The pedal has no resistance. Hope this all makes sense. We are hoping for a fix that doesnt involve separation as the fishing comp takes place Easter weekend. Thanks again

Hi I didn't receive your email. From your photo it looks nasty inside the clutch housing and after your explanation I can understand the reason, salt water and iron don't mix very well.
Like the other Jim posted don't attempt to force it into gear or you will possibly cause transmission damage, shut the engine off and start in a low gear.
I would suspect the problem has been caused by the sea water rusting the sliding surfaces and now the pressure plate and clutch plate are stuck.

I am attaching some photos of clutch housing, adjustments, etc.
The gap between throw out bearing and is the B = 2.54 mm (0.1 in) in the Fig. 17 Dual Clutch photo.

cvphoto120213.jpg

cvphoto120214.jpg

cvphoto120215.jpg

cvphoto120217.jpg

In my opinion you can attempt to adjust on the clutch plate all you want. A pressure plate especially a rusty one like that rarely goes out of adjustment all of a sudden. In the picture I took from Jim2bs post that is a cross section of the clutch. The two items I scribbled on in red are turned by the engine. The darker thing between them is the clutch plate that drives the transmission. The spring force in the pressure plate squeeze the red scribbled thing together on the clutch plate to make it turn. Pushing the pedal down releases that squeeze even to the point of a gap on each side. What I talked about in my other post was other pieces of lining or something has gotten in that gap. Now the springs are not pushing as far as they were before when all was normal. That is why your fingers are not as close to the throw out bearing as they should be. You will need to split the tractor to repair it before Easter or find a backup plan. As I put in another recent post, I hope you can come back here soon and say I was wrong, but I will not hold my breath.
cvphoto120226.jpg

I am 99% sure you will have to split tractor to fix
problem .. it's not a big job
Salt water could cause spigot bearing to seize up
I would suggest making some sort of extension on
boat trailer so you don't have to reverse tractor into
water

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back